DexCool coolant

Has anyone eperienced problems with DexCool coolant ? I have a 2004 Chev. P/U and was wondering if I should remove this product from my cooling system. I talked to the dealership, they say they know of no
problem, but when I do an internet search, I see all kinds of issues. djoker

The only problem in removing it is that it would void part of your warranty.
If you look at those internet sites you will see the problem pertains to some vehicles for just a few years when DexCool was first used.
Just keep the reservoir full and don't mix in other coolants.
Rich256 wrote:

THe problem is, basically, once DexCool, short of a complete tear-down and rebuild, you're stuck with the crap. The engine, btw, will happily accept the older stuff, though, when the time comes. Bad, bad things happen if even a little of the two get mixed.
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

>snip The engine, btw, will happily

Has there been any reported problems with DexCool for the vehicles made in the past three or four years? Except for those that added the old stuff or let the coolant run low.

I've a '99 Chevy K1500 with a 5.7 liter. I change the DexCool when specified in the owners manual. I keep the radiator overflow tank filled and replace the radiator cap when I change the DexCool, never had a problem yet.
Brian

If you replace the radiator cap with a Stant and keep the resevoir filled above the HOT mark, you should have no problems. The primary cause of DxCool problems is air in the system (and another is contaminants in the water).
Rich B wrote:

Which is why getting it changed to the older stuff isn't such a bad idea. Air? Contaminants? Not an issue, though it is still very toxic to animals.
Time and time again this comes up here. The reason any coolant does "damage" is when its left in the system too long it becomes acidic form electrolysis. Differing metals in your engine cause this. Follow the proper flush intervals and you will have minimal issues from dexcool or green antifreeze.

Dexcool is fine. It's a lot easier on waterpump seals than the green stuff and will last about 5 years as opposed to two or three. The downside of Dexcool is that you need to make sure the system is kept full. That being said, unless you have a leak there is no reason for the system not to be full. If your system is not full, find and fix your problem. There is a lot of noise on the net about Dexcool. It is largely crapola perpetuated by the uninformed. FWIW YMMV DFB

I believe that I would have to agree with you on that. But GM really never tried to inform the public as they did their own service personnel. After all it has a completely different effect when compared to than the green stuff when a leak occurs in the system.
Brian