Dexcool leak

Page 1 of 3
I have a 1998 Olds eighty eight and recently noticed an external leak from the rear corners of the lower intake....I know this is a common problem with
GM and I want to sell this car rather than pay for an expensive lower intake. The leak is not real bad.
What I was wondering is if I add bars leak to the radiator how long will this last. I have heard good and bad things about bars leak.....the bad things I have heard is that it clogs up your radiator, heater core and water pump....but on the bottle it says factory installed and they have been selling this stuff since 1947....is it really that bad??
If anything use the GM sealing pellets.

with
water

with
Often those leaks also allow coolant into the motor oil, which is very bad for the engine.
I would not count on leak plugging goop to be a fix.
John
| | | Often those leaks also allow coolant into the motor oil, which is very bad | for the engine. | | I would not count on leak plugging goop to be a fix. | | John | |
Why not? Apparently (so it seems, anyway) GM considers the pellets a "fix".

with
water
Yes that stuff is really that bad. Only use the pellets in applications that require them, never in a car that does not.
If I could show you the 60+ engines I have replaced due to that stuff you would be convinced. Hell right now a customer has a 1994 Buick Skylark with a 3.1 V6. It had a lower intake gasket leak. They bought it dead. When I took the oil filter off I found all the bar's leak. That is the stuff that didn't go thru the bypass and eat the barring out of the rods. Charles

from
applications
stuff
it
Are you saying that someone put Bar's Leak in the crankcase oil? H
he's referring to the 3.1L series engine where the coolant leak is internal and the coolant gets in the oil.
From Ian's post, however, I gather that engine is not the engine in question in this case. GW
Hairy wrote:

The engine in question by the OP (orginal poster) is a buick 3.8 Series II V6. The engine I posted about is a Chevy 3.1/3100 Gen III V6. Both leak differently, yet both have lower intake seal issues.
My point was adding stop leak to either is not recommended. Charles

problem
will
bad
is
the
The intake gasket on the 3.1/3100 will leak coolant in to the oil. Where these gaskets fail is at the head to intake seal. When they leak, coolant goes straight to the return gallies under the valve covers.
The pervious owner of the car in question had kept adding coolant, and stop leak to the cooling system. They must never have pulled the oil dip stick and seen it was white.
My customer purchased the car at a police impound auction. I was with him. I pulled the dip stick and saw the white oil, figured intake leak, and advised him not to go higher then $100. He got the car for $75.
Since you can not start the cars there, not to mention the steering column was in such shape it would not start, we had to wait a few days until I could get a column. Once the car could be steered, and I had a workable ignition switch, I could proceed. The next step was to drain the oil. Spray out the pan with cleaner. let a quart of used drain thru, then put the plug in. After that it was filled with good oil and a new filter and ran. Not only does it have a sever knock, when it get's warm it shuts off.
Either the car will go on eBay with a salvage title, or I will install a engine, get it inspected and sell it. Since the purpose of purchase was to buy for resale. Charles
Most likely not:
It took the point of least resistance, and went into the lifter valley, then the oil pan, the pump and finally the oil filter!
Stop leaks are a gamble to use, and if they do work are a back yard Band-Aid fix at best. One good high speed run on the highway can undo the seal, put the coolant in the crank case and ruin an otherwise good engine.
I'm not a gambler, are you?
Refinish King

problem
will
bad
is
the

then
Band-Aid
Read between the lines guys - all he wants to know is if the $10 he spends on Barrs will stop the leak long enough so that the guy he sells the car to won't notice it during the inspection. The only thing he cares about is losing the $10 for the stop leak if it doesen't work.
Ted
smantas wrote:

If you use the GM stuff, as David mentioned, you won't go wrong. I believe they even installed those seal tabs in that engine in that year right from the factory. I doubt that it will fix your leak, but you can give it a try. If all else fails, there are some cheaper routes to go then replacing the lower intake. There are some kits that you can use to install a new pipe in the lower manifold and install a sleeve in the plastic plenum. I wouldn't recommend this route myself to a customer that came into our shop, but then I have to stand behind the repair.
Ian
As I meantioned earlier....Bars leak is used by the big 3 right from the factory as I am told by the company themselves....There was no coolent in the oil and it was a very small leak from the rear corners of the rear of the intake. I already put it in and ran the car for an hour...the leak seemed to have stopped and the oil is fine....I am getting differing opinions on this stuff...I used the c-16 bars leak that comes in the silver bottle, not the pellets...GM get's the pellest from bars leak company themselves from what I understand....I have the 3800 series 2 motor as mentioned....

More info,
The company claims it will prevent and stop internal leaks as well....
Check out their FAQ site .... http://www.barsproducts.com/coolf1.html
Also here is an e-mail I sent and their reply: (note my message is last and their reply is first)
((No, we have been in business since 1947 and will not harm your system in anyway. We are a factory installed product in the big three car manufactures also. I cant speak for other stop leaks, but ours is safe and effective.
Shelly Gascoigne Sales and Marketing Coordinator snipped-for-privacy@barsproducts.com BAR'S PRODUCTS BAR'S LEAKS SPLATT Stiction BAR'S XTREME