Diagnostic codes for '99 Lumina?

SES light just came on, on a '99 Lumina with a 3.8 V-6 engine. I haven't been able to find a list of codes on the net. Anyone got a URL for these?
I haven't found the diagnostic connector yet, but I know on the mid
90's models you could jumper the A and B terminals to get the codes. Will I need to buy a code scanner for this car?
I assume I can find the diagnostic connector, but just in case... where is it?
Thanks, Christopher
You must use an obd11 scanner, only way, autozone will do this for free, but no diagnosis, post back with the codes, or take it to your local mechanic have it completely checked out.

Christopher wrote in alt.autos.gm

On the old OBDI systems, you could do this. They were phased out in 96 and replaced by OBDII. Except some gm's in 94-95 used a strange OBDI system with OBDII connectors. For OBDII you need a scan tool. Auto Zone, and perhaps other auto parts places, will scan for free. But they will not diagnose the problem, only tell you what the codes are. As someone else said, post back with the codes and people can help. The connector should be under the dash, to the right of the steering column.
--
Dick #1349
Thanks all.