Digital dash swappable with analog?

In an "88 Cavalier Z24 with the digital dash that doesn't work (which I understand is very common) I was told a regular analog dash from a similar car (same year & model) would plug right in and work. That
seemed hard to believe to me. Plus, the parts car I'd be robbing the analog cluster off of uses a cable-operated speedo, coming off the cruise control transducer -- which I wouldn't think the digital dash would use. What is the straight story on that? Seems like the digital dashboards failed so often that many people would have replaced it with an analog if it was feasible. TIA
On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 19:25:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@msn.com (blowout preventer) wrote:

I had a 92 GMC Safari with a digital dash. It was bought used,2,001. The dash failed around 2,004. The speedometer,and the mileage was the only thing working. I was told the same thing about the analog. I could never afford another dash. So I used it as was. We gave it to a friend in another state. Who's fellow church member was using it as a work van. As far as I know with the same faulty dash. And it is still running. I would think twice about putting that much time and effort,in a car that age. Unless it's a Suburban. They seem to last a long time. But use way to much fuel. Mine has a 40 gallon tank. I bought a 1999 to replace the van. It was suggested to me, also I could have replaced each gauge, and attach it to the top of the dash.