Disabling ABS on my Van

Page 3 of 4
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Hmmmm. I've not yet figured out how to "pulse" one wheel independently of the others. Or even worse, how to pulse all 4 at differing levels.
Take care.
Ken

You don't feel safe when the ABS activates because you don't know how to use it and possibly that you don't know how to drive in snowy conditions.
Read your owner's manual and search the 'net on how to properly operate a vehicle with ABS. Then, do like any good driver, find an empty snow covered parking lot and mess around for an hour or so.
Steve

To be fair Steve - I have both vehicles with and without ABS. I have no trouble stopping in the snow or ice with my vehicles that don't have ABS. It's not a necessary piece of equipment for safe driving, nor is it an improvement over non-ABS equipped vehicles. The OP has a point that non-ABS is often much better than ABS in certain conditions. I drive in a lot of snow in upstate NY, and I have 35 years of driving experience to back up my claims as stated. ABS has some very well documented problems with conditions such as snow. One wheel is enough to throw the whole system into ABS with the result being very prolonged stopping distances.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

My 96 s10 with ABS scares me to death when its slick. Once the ABS kicks in and groans, it takes forever to stop. I thought about disabling mine in the winter also. I think there was some shop bulletin on it. It should be recalled. Its dangerous.
Bob
-
on ur 96 s10 there should be a fuse in the box under the hood, pull it and it will be disabled

What testing have you done to prove it would stop faster without it?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

into traffic I think its proof enough. Sure, i can steer. If i am lucky, i can steer it away form crashing.
ABS LEGAL BATTLES & RECALLS
General Motors and Chrysler have both had their share of ABS legal hassles. The RWAL rear-wheel ABS system manufactured by Kelsey-Hayes and used on various 1989 to 1996 Chevrolet and GMC trucks has been under investigation by the NHTSA for a variety of complaints including loss of pedal, excessive pedal travel, failure to stop the vehicle under certain conditions, and excessive front pad wear. Since 1994, NHTSA has reportedly received over 10,000 complaints on ABS problems with GMC and Chevy trucks. A class action suit filed against GM and Kelsey-Hayes on behalf of owners of these vehicles was dismissed August 1, 1997. NHTSA has taken no action of its own, but GM did do a voluntary recall of 1.1 million Chevy and GMC trucks with the Kelsey-Hayes EBC4 ABS system. The recalled models include 1991-1996 four-wheel drive Blazer, Jimmy, S-10 and GMC Sonoma, 1992-1995 Chevy Astro vans and GMC Safari vans, and 1993-1996 G-Series vans.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/abs98f.htm
Bob
-

All that proves is that it was very slippery. It does not mean it was caused by ABS. It does not prove it would have been less sliding without them. You have to realize that ABS keeps the wheels from locking up so you can maintain steering control while braking. It does not give more traction. It does not enhance driver's brain cells.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

You really like to go on and on about shit you know nothing about, don't you?
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

I was just thinking, Nate, that I really know nothing about this either. I have, and have had , several cars with ABS systems. I dont have any complaints at all, making me wonder if I have missed something.
I have driven in all sorts of weather using these systems. But usually I slow down under bad conditions, and dont push the envelope. Maybe that is the difference.

IME, *MOST* ABS systems work well under *MOST* conditions. But to abuse someone because they have issues with the particular ABS system that they have in their car is stupid, because they are not perfect. Some less so than others.
In general, it seems that with every passing model year they get more sophisticated and better able to deal with difficult conditions, but there will always be some that are better than others.
nate

Funny - I was just thinking about this thread too. I'm on record as not being infatuated with ABS, though I really have nothing against the system. I drive both ABS and non-ABS vehicles and find no real difference between the two - except that one tickles my foot when it's in use. I wonder how much people begin to swear by something such as ABS simply because they can tell it's activating - they feel the pulsing. Suddenly, "ABS certainly worked - it made me stop in time", when non-ABS probably would have just as well. The skid tests I've seen comparing the two really don't show a lot of difference between ABS and normal use non-ABS systems, so I often think that more of the "value" of ABS is a perceived value in the owner's mind.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Its funny the factory usually tests ABS on DRY pavement.

Ok - let me correct my flagrant error to the tests I've seen comparing ABS to non-ABS don't show a significant difference in normal braking conditions.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

No, there are some thing I know but this is not one of them. There are some people that make up their minds and think they know. So you had a slippery road. Without doing a comparative test, you cannot say for sure what the difference is. Your subjective idea is certainly not proof of anything.
No sense in continuing this discussion as I'm sure neither of us is going to change our minds. Nor will I stoop to name calling.
wrote in message

That's pretty funny, since you're the one who started it with the
"Sidling through has nothing to do with ABS, but everything to do with being

Insinuating? No, I meant exactly what I said and it applied to all drivers, including me. . If you are sliding through a stop sign, you are driving too fast. If that happens to fit you, take it as intended. Last night, a co-worker's daughter was in an accident and broke her leg. Cause? Driving too fast for conditions on a road with ice. That is a fact, not name calling.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

If I am driving an ABS equipped vehicle at, say, 20 MPH and cannot stop, and I can drive the same vehicle in the same conditions WITHOUT ABS at 30 MPH or more and CAN stop, the problem is not me, it's a defective ABS system.
The obvious solution is to not buy vehicles with defective ABS systems, but you can't always take a vehicle for a test drive in bad weather before you buy. Hence, I assume, the reason for the OP's post.
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
I just all and all hate ABS period, the 99 Jimmy we have I've disabled it, the 93 jeep dont have it thank god, and the 90 grand am dont either, good thing, I've driven many cars with it (2001 Jeep Cherokee) and I didnt like those either.

abomb69 wrote:

I hope you NEVER have an accident with it disabled. Your insurance company will hang you out to dry if they find out it's disabled. Plus they may sue you if there is anything on the policy like a discount for the ABS being there. I know a couple folks who went though it. By the time the other insurance company got through with them they ended up totally broke and the man (he was the one who disabled the ABS) served 2 year in jail for vehicular manslaughter. WHY? The other insurance company proved that he had knowingly disabled the ABS unit and they brought in a couple of experts who testified that IF the ABS had been active that the accident wouldn't have occurred because the driver could have steered around the stopped vehicle.
--
Steve W.