Disappearing Low-Coolant-Sensor

The earlier post on "replacing low coolant sensor" has prompted me to look for it (the low coolant sensor) in my wife's 2002 Rendezvous (3.4L V6). This item is of particular interest to me as I had the misfortune of a blown

3.4L V6 engine because of leaky coolant not too long ago. Well, first I look in the owner's manual, nothing mentioned there about low coolant indicator light. Then I popped the hood and looked for the sensor on the radiator. Lo and behold, there was nothing there. If I am not mistaken, the low coolant sensor should be right below the radiator cap, as is the case with my 1997 Chevy Venture. But apparently, GM has made an disappearing act in this later model engine. Can somebody out there enlighten me as to why this is so. Seems to me that will put GM vehicle owners in grave danger of not knowing when coolant has leaked out of the cooling system, possibly into the engine. May be this is part of a greater GM scam to avoid repair these defective engines under warranty ? Without the indicator light, most customers will not know to take their vehicles back for repair before the warranty expires. Anybody else has other thoughts on this ?
Reply to
DL

Wow! You are right, that would not be good. I'm waiting to hear this one too.

Reply to
Mike

I have never had a vehicle with a low coolant sensor, maybe its just on the high end models.

Reply to
Me

Maybe someone at GM will come up with a brainstorm and make the coolant reservoirs out of say a sort of see thru plastic so that you dont have to actually take anything apart to check coolant level Then when All you people who think you should not have to ever check anything on your vehicle until a manufacturer installed IDIOT light comes on could possibly glance at the coolant recovery tank while your not under your hood checking your oil because the low oil level light didn't come on either could see if your coolant level had gone down and add the right amount. Then in a few days maybe check it again and see if it is low again. NAH too difficult for people today. Does GM need to install a idiot light for everything on your vehicle or is there certain things that you can check by yourself? Ever since there has been liquid filled cooling systems there have been leaks. How do we know this because people checked and saw the level dropping or the coolant on the ground. Now you bunch of couch potatoes wont do a damn thing unless a little red or yellow light comes on and alerts you that your an idiot if you dont check this.

But then again GM had a problem with gaskets so why check it, right? lets just make GM foot the whole bill and then you can sit back and bitch about the prices they charge for a peice of machinery that you wont maintain unless they put a light on it for you

IMHO GM ought to make the low coolant lamp and the Low oil level lamp (where equipped) set a code along with the milage when the lamp was commanded on and lets just see how many people let it go for miles before they complain. Then you would have something to bitch about

Reply to
The Jones'

Take a look at the bottom of the "overflow" tank and see if there are wires going into it. GM often puts them there.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?Pa=FAl=20=3Cpy=AAats=40te=BAx=AAas=2Enet=