Dissappointed in the 350

Page 2 of 2
The service engine code kept coming on and referencing stuck injectors. After 5 trips to the dealer to flush the injectors, the problem continued. The service crew had run into this before -- for some
reason, when the valves get gummed up and stick, the engine mgmt code that comes up points to the injectors. I guess it was only through experience of having been there before and witnessing the same symptoms again that lead to them to the valves.
seeray wrote:

But if the valves and guides were just carboned up, and the compression was good and didn't leak down they could have at least attempted to run GM's top engine cleaner through the motor. I've used it in the past and it works wonders on gummed up motors.
Brian

there was some stuff we had sitting around the shop called 22K or 44K or something like that... supposedly worked like a champ, but the cans were old, so i didn't want to try it.
44K I think is what your referring to, it's manufactured by BG Products. It's great stuff.
Brian

yep, that's the stuff... there was this poster on the wall showing how clean it made the valves after using the stuff.. Damn, I've got a couple engines that could probably benefit from that stuff. Too bad the guy went out of business...
He also had a stockpile of this platinum-metering system for gasoline cars with carburetors... it would mix platinum with the fuel and supposedly made you get better gas mileage...
Ric Bednar wrote:

Three words: You Got Taken.
Ric Bednar wrote:

..something else sets off my B.S. Meter... the 99 trucks no longer offered a 5.7L. 4.8 or 5.3L GenIII V8s, no more "classic" SBC. (or a 6L in a 3/4 ton)
(unless it's a Yukon or something - I believe those used the old engines for a bit longer, but the new series trucks swapped engine types at the redesign...)
Ray

you could buy a c/k up until '00 as a C/K Classic w/ a 4.3, 305, or a 350. they were sold right along side the Silverado/Sierra's in '99 and '00.
-Bret

Not true, I have a 1999 K1500 (not Silverado) that has a factory 5.7 liter in it. They consider this the early 99 as it looks like a 1998. The Silverado is considered the new 99 body and they came out in mid 1999 with the 4.8 and 5.3 liter. Mine was made in November of 1998.
Brian
NoSpam wrote:

Argh. You mean you could get a 99 Chev/GMC fullsize truck with both body styles and both engine series? Boy, isn't that going to be fun when trying to get parts in a few years...
Ray
On Wed, 05 May 2004 10:28:04 -0500, ray

I was under the impression that GM offered the 2500 series and up as the classic body in 99 and maybe 2000. The 350 was the base engine in these trucks...

Not a big deal, as long as you can read the manufacture date. Most parts books list an early and a late part if there is a differance.
Brian
NoSpam wrote:

But the problems will start to happen in 5 years when the local car parts place doesn't list early/late anymore and starts to blend the catalog together - new style oil filter, old style spark plug wires and you're the second owner... it just ends up being a pain whenever you need parts and it always takes two trips...
I owned an 82 Plymouth Caravelle. In the USA, that was a K-Car - FWD 4cyl. In Canada (where I live) it was a RWD V8 (Plymouth Gran Fury) or a k-Car... so parts shopping was always a blast... eventually you got to looking up parts for a Dodge Diplomat instead...
Ray