Do I Need New Wiper Motor 88 Trans Am ?

I have 1988 Trans Am GTA. The wipers only come on on the "high" position, and then they just jerk around near the bottom of the windshield. In a quiet garage, you can hear something click near the wiper motor, when you put the selector into the "delay" and the "low" settings, so it appears that power is getting down there.

For the past few years the "low" and "delay" worked, but you had to wait about 3 minutes for them to come on. The "high" position used to always work, now it just jerks around near the bottom of the windshield.

Thanks

Reply to
caprice85

Many GM cars of that time period had problems related to the pulse PCB. It failed prematurely. There are aftermarket ones which should be of higher quality that you can get for thirty bucks or so.

But that may not be the problem, or at least the total problem. You have to make sure that the motor and wiper linkages are working properly.

Reply to
hls

HLS,

I can't find any new pcb's for this car out there, except at the dealer, and they want to gouge $134 for it. Not even on eBay, or Google, after a half hour searching. I don't want to risk a junkyard.

The good news is that I removed the cover, cleaned up the contacts a bit with a clean fingernail, reassembled, and I have all the wiper functions back, except that the "off" position no longer turns them off. Used to be they would go off after waiting a minute, now they keep wiping on low.

Interestingly, there is a small spring in the upper right of the opened motor assy that has come off its connection. Maybe reattaching it would help. Will be trying that in near future. I wonder if a previous owner detached the spring for some reason.

Reply to
caprice85