Do I need to replace struts?

I have a 1994 Buick Century, It is making a noise like there is something loose in the trunk ever since I got a new muffler, I took it back to see if the muffler was loose, they said I need new struts. I
am getting ready to sell the car soon - so they told me it wouldnt hurt to keep driving it, the only problem would be the noise. Is this possibly true? Is it safe? How much should struts cost?
Thanks
How can we determine these questions sight unseen, the degree the struts are worn is critical, the cost varies by area and parts.

-
When there is noise like that ,it is usually the strut mounts causing it not the strut. A bad strut usually causes bouncing etc. just like a bad shock. If it sounds like it is bottoming out over certain holes it is the mount for sure. Cheers On 18 Jul 2005 15:36:58 -0400, stonehenge

good idea to have the installation checked by another mechanic/shop. It is so tempting to pass the buck to another cause. s