Do my symptoms point to a future engine problem?

I bought a 95 2wd, chevy astro 2 weeks ago.

I checked the car, the oil was clean, and everything is ok. I liked and bought the car.

The previous owner told me he bought the car 2 months ago, with an engine problem. He had the crankshaft and some of the push rods changed. He drove nearly 80 miles after repair, and sold it to me.

I bought and start driving. The engine was strong. But after 50 mile, I notice the engine misses lightly. I checked the spark plug wires and notice #1, 3 and 5 wires are burnt in some parts. I changed the wires and now it is missing hard on #3. At the same time, I start to feel that the engine is not as strong (This is my 3rd astro/safari van) as it was the day I bought.

At the same time, I start to get an oil leak. It is coming from oil filter adaptor. As I start to work on this, I notice the oil is extremely dirty. It is not old like any oil after 3000 miles or brownish muddy like if you had a head gasket problem. It is not transparent and I feel like it has many shaving in it.

If I'm right to worry about shaving, is it normal on new crankshaft or am I killing the engine.

TIA, Ulas.

Reply to
uccoskun

Shep

That story about "having the crank and some of the pushrods changed" would have sent me running and laughing at the same time. I would never buy a vehicle from a stranger with a story about a heavy repair so close to selling it. The only exception is if I had a spare engine and the price was right. People have too much of a tendency to call a quick ring job a complete overhaul and so on. You are right to worry about shavings. It's the death knell for your engine. Clean it out the best you can and keep changing oil and filters. There is not much more you can do at this point.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Ask to see the reciept / workorder for the engine work he'd had done.

Reply to
James Goforth

That would be interesting, whether it helps or not. My guess is the paper work got lost or the work was done up the street by a friend in his garage with a trouble light. The engine never was removed from the vehicle. Or the original diagnosis, which was what, was inaccurate to begin with.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I won't bother trying to figure out what engine he is talking about.

Reply to
The Bonesman

I won't bother trying to figure out who you are replying to.

Reply to
Hairy

I changed the oil filter mount gaskets. I found a smaller O ring. Whoever put it there, knew it is a wrong part so he also put it some gasket maker to fill possible opening. I checked the oil, everthing looks ok. I donot know how i get the metal pieces in the first place.

I decided to get smog test. It failed badly... It is too rich, and considering 1 3 and 5 are all bad, I decided to put some money on spider. I will get one soon and lets see.

I believe the initial job on the crankshaft is due to thin oil because of the gas in the oil.

Thank you for all responses. I will update you soon, if the spider is the problem.

Reply to
uccoskun