Does GM have anything Stylish Coming Out?

Page 1 of 4
OK we have seen the First Ever G6 and said Blahh. And blahh to everything else under $30k. When or Will GM make a stylish car for the common man...Lord knows that this country is already flooded with Micky Mouse
styling cars especially under $30k. Camary finally has come out with a decent body style and they were selling when they were ugly. What is GM going to do to go up against Camry?

The new Camaro will kick its ass in a year or so.
Scott wrote:

Will it be affordable, though? If GM can make a good, base model V-8 for about $25K they have a wiener on their hands. If they price it at $40K... yawn.
nate
"Scott" <homealone.com> wrote in message

The new Camaro will be ready in 2009. That's two years or so. And the Camaro won't compete with the Camry; the Camry is for people who want 4 doors and a back seat comfortable for adults. You won't be seeing that in the Camaro.
And the Camaro concept, IMHO, is ugly, the back end is too overemphasized and the front end is too severe. The '67 and related vehicles were very attractive. This thing isn't. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, could be there will be a market for it.

I'm surprised anyone likes the new Camry. It's the ugliest Toyota in a long long time. The only uglier Japanese vehicle is the Honda Ridgeline. It's even uglier than the Aztec.
People are buying japanese despite the funny styling because they want reliability and are willing to pay more for it. GM thinks people are buying japanese because they like the styling so are trying to copy the awkward looks. The G6 looks like the ugly Toyota Avalon.
The new camaro is a step in the right direction.
--
Denis Roy

"The Bonesman" < snipped-for-privacy@server3.net> wrote in message
Yes, A very stylishly drafted bankruptcy petition.

You say nothing about the Honda Element. Yikes! My father-in-law has one. I don't know how to tell him. LOL

Detroit would have failed miserably on building a box. Probably a personality thing, but it seems as though a lot of the people that buy ugly imported cars won't buy an American car anyway. I don't think it was much of an opportunity.
Dude GM sells more than twice as many vehicles as Toyota. Somebody must like what GM has to offer, more than what Toyota has to offer than the myth of 'better' reliability. ;)
mike

Toyota Motor Corp., buoyed by demand for fuel-efficient vehicles, is moving closer to ending General Motors Corp.'s 80-year reign as the world's biggest automaker.
Toyota's sales grew 7.1 percent to 4.36 million in the year's first half, according to Toyota spokeswoman Shiori Hashimoto. GM's fell 2.3 percent, to 4.6 million, spokesman John McDonald said. GM's advantage, now 240,000 units, has shrunk to less than half its size of 12 months ago.
http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060801/AUTO01/608010330/1148
GM sales decline sharply in June Ford, DaimlerChrysler also report lower sales; Toyota surges
DETROIT - Domestic automakers' sales slid in June, lashed by higher gas prices and by tough comparisons with last summer's discount-driven bonanza, the companies said on Monday.
Struggling General Motors Corp. got the worst beating; its sales plunged 25.7 percent last month.
But rising fuel costs were a boon to Toyota Motor Corp., which credited its fuel-efficient lineup for much of its 14.4 percent sales increase
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13687071 /
Toyota nearer to equaling GM on sales
TOKYO Toyota Motor, the world's No. 2 carmaker by sales, is on course to catch up with General Motors after posting sharply higher quarterly profit Friday amid booming sales of its fuel- efficient vehicles.
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/08/04/business/toyota.php
Mike Hunter wrote:

http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060801/AUTO01/608010330/1148
Who cares what Mike Hunter thinks? I want dependable and while Toyota & Honda may have hiccups from time to time they are the exception-with GM/Ford/DCX it is more the norm. Until Detroit's losers *average* quality is the equal of Toyota and Honda they will still fail-if they survive that long. Then there is the teeny matter of building & designing cars that people actually want to buy.
Toyota said Friday that its August U.S. vehicle sales rose 17 percent from a year earlier, while Ford's sales dropped 11.6 percent and DaimlerChrysler's sales fell 3.2 percent.
http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/ap/2006/09/01/ap2988885.html
Toyota is the leader
Mike Hunter wrote:

Gosi wrote:

Not quite. Here is the data per the WSJ:
August 2006 US Sales Summary:
TRUCK/SUV CHANGE CARS CHANGE TOTAL GM 206,798 4.0% 156,723 3.9% 363,521 Ford 157,311 (21%) 97,801 8.5% 255,112 Toyota 96,034 13% 144,144 20% 240,178 Chrysler 144,269 (1.2%) 34,896 (15%) 179,165 Honda 69,385 15% 81,868 (15%) 151,253 Nissan 37,066 (11%) 52,782 3.9% 89,848
One lesson here is that GM managed a small gain in truck sales into a down market while Ford got killed with it's truck line up. Toyota and Honda continue to significantly grow their share of the Truck market. Nissan's efforts to capture a bigger piece of the truck pie are falling flat.
Honda is getting spanked a bit in car sales due to supply shortages of the high fuel economy Fit and Civic models while the Accord is now getting a bit old for a Japanese design (introduced in 2003). Toyota brought out the 2007 all-new Camry early and probably pulled some sales from Honda.
John
These are US figures
Toyota is doing even better worldwide
John Horner wrote:

I'm tired of hearing all of these pencil-necked geeks praise Toyota and Honda. I drove cars for 2 years for many different auto dealerships (on dealer deliveries/special deliveries) and drove tons of Toyotas, Hondas, Pontiac, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, etc.. I drove some of these cars on 1000 mile trips. I drove all of these cars you're comparing and slapping jaw about. The domestic cars are just as nice as the Japanese cars. I suggest driving all of these cars for thousands of miles before slapping jaw about them.
-
You will be hearing a lot more because the sales of Toyota/Honda will be going up
GM/Ford will be going down until they suddenly stop - bankrupt
It will be very interesting to see what happens then
Probably just more of what is already happening - closures of plants
This is the american dream in action - good win over bad
grappletech wrote:

If you think GM is going to go bankrupt, you really need to pull your head out of your ass.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1624111/posts http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_50/b3963114.htm http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_19/b3932001_mz001.htm http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid 000103&sid=ajapi3MuNpGk&refer=us
Delphi Corp. Chief Executive Officer Steve Miller said General Motors Corp., his biggest customer, will have to file for bankruptcy
The very existence of GM, Ford Motor Co. and many Detroit- area auto suppliers is threatened by the steady increase in wages, health-care costs and pensions that the United Auto Workers union has won for its members since 1947, he said. Retirement costs were manageable when workers retired at age 65 and died five years later; they're debilitating to companies when workers retire at 50 and live 40 more years, Miller said.
Delphi's bankruptcy stems from ``the fundamental problems that have crippled the domestic auto industry: an inflexible and uncompetitively expensive labor union, along with a toxic relationship between automaker and supplier,'' said Credit Suisse First Boston analyst Chris Ceraso said in a research note.
Rick Wagoner, GM's chief executive, has been negotiating with the UAW to lower health-care costs and retiree benefits. Those costs, GM says, add more than $1,500 to the cost of every car and truck sold in the U.S.
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-11/16/content_495146.htm
GM bankruptcy fears rising on Wall Street
80 Knight wrote:

Your links might mean more if they were actually recent articles. And I couldn't possibly care less what you think of GM, or it's future. GM will bounce back. Too many lives depend on it, and you don't stay #1 for THAT many years and then be overtaken. Toyota may take over as #1 for a little while, but GM will bounce back. Watch and see. The General will rise again.

Several times financial institutions have made statements that GMs bankruptcy is all but assured. Same for Ford.
GM has kept the wolf at the gate, so far, but only time will tell. I would not buy GM stock, although if they manage to survive, it could be a way to make a lot of money.
I have less confidence in Ford. I think they will probably file bankruptcy sooner or later, but will continue under reorganization or maybe even be picked off by a large international company.
IF the American people really get challenged on fuel, etc, then GM and Ford may both go down, since about the only thing that is profitable to them is the gas guzzler segment of trucks and SUVs.
By the way, drove a Volvo (Ford) the last few weeks and it was a good experience. Taught me not to buy one. In typical American fashion, there was too much electronic cockiedoodie, from the on dash information system to the nearly unusable heating and cooling controls. The radio, even, was too complicated and poorly thought out. The little 2 litre diesel engine was powerful enough and very economical, indicating an average of about 40 mpg, and instantaneous values up to nearly 60-70 mpg. The killer here was the 6 speed manual transmission which was difficult to use with confidence. Get that baby in the wrong gear and the diesel dies...and you have to move fast to get it restarted and into the traffic stream.
Now to see if GM has screwed up SAAB in a similar way.