Does Pontiac Have Anything Interesting Coming Out?

Page 1 of 2
Does pontiac have anything interesting coming out in the very near future? I am seeking something about the size of a grandam or grandprix in a 2 door
coupe. It should be low stylish, semi luxuy and sporty. Prefer a long hood and short deck. I liked the 96-2000 styled Grand Prix coke bottle body styled coupes and dont know why they screwed up the styling and went with the hi-top tennis shoe body style grand prix which offers nothing in style.
There are talks of releasing some of the Holden projects here in america, such as a pontiac G5, or a holden commodore; also, the new GTO will be released late 2008 as a 2009 model, on the same zeta platform as the new Camaro. That's a two door, and the 03-06 interior was very nice IMO. Just look up Holden cars, and see what exists. Since GTO's will be discontinued for two years, why not wait a month, and see just how cheap they are, since most dealers will be trying to get rid of them anyway? I'm sure you can find one for an AWESOME price.
FBodyFreak

I just hates the looks of those new GTOs, plus I want a performance 6 cyl because of gas prices.
Ralph D. Malph wrote:

I'm hugging my Beretta GT as we speak. :)
My dad points out that these new sports cars *look* like FWD cars--which is usually a bad thing coming from someone who hasn't got anything that doesn't have a nice long driveshaft coming out the back.
Ralph D. Malph wrote:

One more thing...the Beretta is IMHO a very nice sports car that comes with a 3.1 V6 under the hood--if you could get one in decent shape, you'd love it (if it's a manual, anyway--don't know about automatics, yuck). Mine's a little old-looking but it's pretty darn snappy, and I've often found myself hitting 25 MPH in first when I get angry...
it's also 20 year old technology, yuk..

hdd wrote:

20-year-old technology with a lot of speed and at the same time the ability to squeeze an average 30 MPG out of (I've done it, and that's with heavy in-town driving). And the car looks good, especially if you put a new paint job on it.
The age of the technology doesn't matter--in fact, you'll find a Beretta GT to be much easier to deal with than one of these stinking new Impalas (once again, a personal and very annoying experience). At least everything in the car isn't shrouded by a computer the user has to take to a dealer and pay hundreds to make any kind of changes to.
Like I said, I love my Beretta. I'd rather have it than any other FWD V6 car. I can't stretch it so far as to say I wouldn't take a Camaro over it, but then again, the Camaro is in a totally different class (performance AND money-wise).
Sometimes 20-year-old technology can be a *good* thing.
~Jody
yeah, but there's been no improvement in gas mileage during those 20 years. Small V6 powered cars are still getting mpg in the 20's. One important thing about 20 year old cars is the parts are available in the aftermarket, dirt cheap. Tires won't cost $250 each either.

Joe wrote: > .....One important

which is convenient, since 20 YO cars break down daily. GW
My GM vehicle has 343K on it and 14 years old. Rarely ever breaks down. Friend with a Dodge (ugh) Ram 1500. less than 25K on it and back to the shop for the 6th time. It's a 2006.
LS

I have a 15 year old GM car that has never let me down. and a 14 year old before that and a few others, long term. It is the 5 year old GM car that is going to crap. That is what convinced me NOT to buy another GM.
We have a 5 year old GM as well that needed a new transmission. I think it happened because of the way we drove it through the mountains. We were very hard on it. So far I have never owned a GM that did not hit 200K. My Bonny had 278K when I sold it and it looked perfect when I sold it.
Had to get a van with the third kid on the way. I really hope GM keeps the quality high because they will need it to turn the corner financially.

If they put all the parts in the transmiisson you can buy a Buick. Not me, that is what happened to me and no way will I go Buick again

supercharged V6. Most Commodores are V6 powered.

Mal,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the AU 3.8L is basically a Series III engine with an aluminum block. I'd love to get one of those engines and drop it in my '94 Regal!
The full-sized Holden car (the Caprice) would be a great addition to the US lineup as well - would give GM US a full-sized RWD sedan to compete against the Crown Vic and the big RWD Chrysler products. Another kinda nitch idea would be the UTE - Holden's version of the old El Camino type vehicle. Of course we've HAVE to have it with roo bars :))
Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA
Looks like Pontiac management agree.....
http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/commodore-begins-global-tour/2006/09/29/1159337322009.html \

Mal,
I'm not all that thrilled with the looks of the new Commodore - liked the previous generation design much better. However, the SS-V version sure looks interesting. I hope Pontiac imports it - reminds me (in concept) of the Catalina Super-Dutys from the early 60s.
Now when do we get the UTE?
Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

Looks are a bit subjective, the VE is a better car than it's predecessor. Pontiac will probably stick a butt-ugly new front on it anyway, as well as a few assorted tacky scoops & fins.
The Commodore was not designed as a sports car, it's a family car. In Australia it has the same market niche as a Taurus or Impala. The Monaro, on which the GTO was based was never a "muscle car", it was the V8 2 door Commodore, kinda regarded in a similar light as a Taurus SHO or Impala SS. Nice car, but not really a GTO. Sticking garish scoops, an ugly front & loud exhaust didn't really help much.
At least the correct wheels are driven, but then most popular large Australian family cars from Ford & GMH are RWD.
There was a "beast" planned, a few HRT 427 Monaros made it off the racetrack & were road registered, before beancounters pulled the plug. Pity, it might have made a credible GTO. http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/8_10_hol3.htm
Not sure you will see a ute, the new generation VE ute body has not been made yet, the ones still selling are basically VZs.

Another name for the Korean designed and built Daewoo Kalos sold as the Chev Aero. Another GM import sold as a domestic car to compete with the NA built "imports" by Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc.
Timmy Thompson Private Eye wrote:

GM never seems to have the resources to give all of the divisions the vehicle updates needed. Other than the Solstice, Pontiac has next to nothing of interest going on.
John