Dome Light Always On

Hello,
I have a 1996 GMC Jimmy. A few days ago, the dome light would not go off. It usually goes off after about a 20 second delay, or when you turn the ignition key on. Currently I have the fuse removed, to keep
them off. I have checked all fuses and all door jam switches. My next item to check is to see if it has a module for the delay. Does anyone know if there is a module, and if so, it's location?
Thank you,
Kevin
If it goes off after 20 second delay it sounds to me that is the norm. My 98 Jimmy has a time delay on it, but it also has a by pass switch on the dash.

What he's saying is that it *does not* shut the lights off after the 20 second delay.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

My 98 did that same thing the dome light was on and I found the rear glass was not latched.

What the f**k. Are you a complete idiot?
Unless you want a dead battery, just take the bulbs out of the dome lights. This is a no-brainer. I'd rather have a car without a dome light than one that dont start. Besides for less than $5 you can buy a flashlight.
After reading your response, its pretty clear who the idiot is.

Hey Moron!
My wife drives the vehicle. The dome light is a convenience. Using a flashlight is the lazy way out. I took out the fuse, so guess what? I don't have to worry about a dead battery. That's not my problem; "the dome light always stays on." I want to know why the dome lights won't go off, not use your "no-brainer" approach, and just remove the lights. I'll bet you're the kind of idiot that would replace the engine because the plugs were fouled.
I have an access cover at the back of my glove box, behind that cover are three relays. Are you saying that one of those is the relay?

I have an access cover at the back of my glove box, behind that cover are three relays. Are you saying that one of those is the relay?
Also, I have tried the switch at the cargo light; still stays on. I also jumped the wires for every switch in all doors, and the light still stayed on, however they did slight dim when I made the jump, so I know it was trying to shut it off.

Yes, one of those is the "delay" relay. After all doors are closed, the lights stay on for about 20 seconds and then go off. If the relay sticks "on" the lights will stay on.

Best bet ... Go to a big city library, and look up the wiring diagrams for your car. Todays cars are too complex for guesswork.
Try the courtesy module (usually incorporated with the headlight switch.) These courtesy modules have IC's with software installed that doesn't lend itself to conventional troubleshooting to easily. The best way that I've found to troubleshoot them is to eliminate all other components that involve the dome lights, i.e.: door jamb interlocks, headlight/dimmer switch, and all associated wiring. Check them for short to ground, or short to voltage. Due to this method of troubleshooting, it only makes sense to obtain a courtesy module from the junkyard in order to verify your assumption. The good part is that there are only a few things that will illuminate the dome light; again, eliminate what u can, obtain the rest from the junkyard. Jim