Door Ajar Light on 92 Roadmaster Estate Wagon

I really need some help with this.

My 92 Roadmaster has a "Door Ajar" dash light indicating the rear wagon hatch door is open. This damn light is ON but I cannot find the switch which turns it on. I suspect the switch finally broke which is why the light is ON. Most doors have a pushbutton located within easy viewing range, usually located on the door frame. This wagon doesn't seem to have an easy locatable switch.

Does someone know where the Door Ajar switch is?

The chiltons manual says there is such a switch in the electrical layout but gives no indication where the switch is physically located in the wagon.

Thanks for any help. Dan

Reply to
Dan

If I'm reading the Alldata diagram correctly, it should be in the door jamb just above the lower hinge. I presume you've compared it with the other side. If the switch popped through and into the jamb, that would explain your problem.

Reply to
Tim J.

Thanks for the quick reply and thanks for your effort. My origional post may have been misleading as I reread it. I know what I wanted to say but I'm not sure I said it.

The dashbord indications say "Gate Ajar" implying the rear tailgate is open. Also my rear lights inside the wagon above the 3 row rear seats stay on. The on/off switch in each individual light does nothing; the lights stay on. This would be the correct indications if the rear gate was open. However when I shut the rear gate: 1. the rear lights stay on and 2. the Gate Ajar dash light stays on. This would most likely be the indications if the Gate Ajar switch was always closed telling the dash Gate Ajar light to be on and to tell the rear overhead lights to be on.

The chiltons says I do have a Gate Ajar switch but no idea where it is.

I am not talking about the door open light for any of the 4 doors. They all work correctly.

Reply to
Dan

Ahh, that's a different animal altogether.

Alldata shows it as being in the gate itself, on the right side (the side with the latch), near the bottom. You may have to pull a panel off, the diagram isn't too clear on that issue.

Reply to
Tim J.

Tim J. You are great.

I pulled the platic face off the inside of the rear gate. I found 3 plugin things in the lower right of the gate by the hinge.

It is now much to dark to fool with it. The answer will wait until tomorrow. I think I will go to the local Buick dealer and see if they could help me. I may just order a new switch if I can get the correct info.

Besides all this, the ABS brake light just came on. Guess I must solve that one. The car just turned over 196,000 miles so I can expect some small issues. Runs great.

Again, Thanks for your help.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

My final post on this subject:

One of the 3 connectors was the answer. I disconnected each connector ,one at a time, until the Gate Ajar light on the dashboard went out. I have decided I don't need an indicator which says Gate Ajar. The connector will stay disconnected as long as I own the wagon. If I had

100,000 less miles, I may have actually fixed it. But at 196,000 miles, I consider it fixed.

Now, to begin to resolve the ABS light.

Thanks Tim J. for your guidance. This was much easier with your help.

Dan

Reply to
dan