Draining 2000 Chevy Astro fuel tank

I have a 2000 Chevy Astro van and I am getting rid of it because it has become unsafe to drive. However I had just put a full tank of gas into it ($50). I'd like to be able to get it out somehow but I've heard that siphoning it out is not a viable option because modern cars have anti-siphon filters on them.

Is there any other way to get the gas out? I know very little about cars and I'm not very good with mechanical stuff so please dumb it down for me. ;-)

Reply to
Deuteros

Are they towing the van away? If so, you could just punch a hole in the bottom of the tank and let it drain out into a container. Or you could disconnect a fuel line and hot wire the fuel pump and pump the tank dry. I alos suspect you can siphon the fuel out - just use one of the kits available at a parts store - don't suck the gas out with your mouth to get ti started.

If you are selling it, then make the gas part of the deal....

Reply to
C. E. White

I haven't decided if I want to sell it, give it away, or just junk it. I don't want to damage anything in case someone wants to try to fix the thing themselves. I definitely don't want to punch a hole in the tank because I don't have anywhere to store all that gasoline.

I've heard of the fuel pump option. Is that a fairly simple thing to do? Is there anywhere online that has step-by-step instructions on how to do that? Do I have to hotwire it or can I start the engine and let it pump the fuel out?

I'll also have to look into a siphoning kit, but I've heard people have difficulty with those because of the anti-siphoning filters on newer cars.

Reply to
Deuteros

Just don't burn yourself, your family, or your house for fifty bucks. Fooling around with gasoline is way past dangerous.

I'd say pass on the gas and live happily ever after.

Reply to
Dave in Columbus

I don't mean to sound negative, but if you know very little about cars and have no mechanical aptitude then I would not mess with it. You are just asking for a flaming vehicle and / or death.

Reply to
Paul