Driver Side Door Key Lock Cylinder

| Thanks for the prompt responce. | | "Tom Ruta" | | | >It has a manual key lock on the driver side and read lift door. | | >It is possible to install a key lock on the passenger door and
| | >if so how complicated/expensive is the process? Parts? | | >labor? | | | | You mean the front passenger door? If the rear passenger door, | | flick, the little kiddie switch to prevent it from being opened from | | the inside. I'd bet there was a NHTSA prohibition from making | | the passenger (front) door inoperable from the inside. BICBW. | | No I'm talking about the outside access key lock to the front passenger | door. (There is not one on this van) Currently the only way to unlock | this from the outside is with the remote control access or by entering | the van from the driver's side and using the unlock button. | | The problem comes when there is only one adult available and we | park on the street. Under this condition the options are a) kids are | either are neither left waiting on the sidewalk b) herded into the | street which is even less desirable c) we find someplace else to | park which is often as not impractical. | | The ideal solution is to install a manual key lock on the passenger. | door. The question is: can this be done and how | complicated/expensive is the upgrade? | | | >My concern is that my daughters often borrow the van for | | >transporting my grand kids. ... | | | | Are the kids over 12 yrs old? If not - into the back they go. | | Not an issue yet. These rug rats are all under 5 y.o. They ride in | the back of the bus. | | | >An alternative is to find cheaper remote key controls but I'd still | | >like to have a key lock on the passenger door. | | > | | >I'm interested in installing a remote start function. Any | | >recommendations would be appreciated. | | | | You need a bunch of electronics to defeat the new "smart key". | | system. There are key and key less adapters for such things. You | | can find info on those bypass kits and adding keyless entry on | | >places like | | http://www.audiowarehouse.peachhost.com/ct_CG13929437.htm | | Thanks, I'm on the way out right now (honey do list) and will take a | look when I get back.
Yes, this is a problem as you describe. I've seen it on GM cars too. The neighbor's 2002 Buick LeSabre doesn't have a external key/lock cylinder on the passenger door, nor does my Wife's 2003 Dodge Stratus or my 2004 Chrysler Sebring. Car manufacturers need to put the key lock cylinder back...you cite one very good safety reason as to why. I'm sure it was a cost cutting thing. My wife is concerned that should the driver lock freeze in the winter in a downtown parking garage, she's stuck with no alternative way to get into the car.
As to cost...I bet it would be hundreds of dollars to add it afterwards (probably a $20 cost during manufacturing), if you can even get a door handle for that side of the car that will accommodate the cylinder any more!
On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, James C. Reeves wrote:

The reasons NOT to buy a new car just keep on stackin' up, don't they.
DS
Seriously though, especially for people that do aftermarket work. A lot of the new GM cars you have to keep the stock radio in the car, and silly things like that.
I'll keep my truck until it dies, and when it does, I'll rebuild it.
--
2002 GMC Sonoma ZQ8 SLS Step-Side Extended Cab - 4.3L Vortec / 4L60E
http://www.sounddomain.com/id/sl4ck3r
Daniel J Stern wrote:

Yep, first aluminum oil pans with easily stripped threads and now this... :-) What'll they think of next?
Matt