Driver Side Door Key Lock Cylinder

| | >I'm interested in installing a remote start function. Any | | >recommendations would be appreciated. | | | | You need a bunch of electronics to defeat the new "smart key". | | system. There are key and key less adapters for such things. You | | can find info on those bypass kits and adding keyless entry on | | >places like | |

| | Thanks, I'm on the way out right now (honey do list) and will take a | look when I get back.

Yes, this is a problem as you describe. I've seen it on GM cars too. The neighbor's 2002 Buick LeSabre doesn't have a external key/lock cylinder on the passenger door, nor does my Wife's 2003 Dodge Stratus or my 2004 Chrysler Sebring. Car manufacturers need to put the key lock cylinder back...you cite one very good safety reason as to why. I'm sure it was a cost cutting thing. My wife is concerned that should the driver lock freeze in the winter in a downtown parking garage, she's stuck with no alternative way to get into the car.

As to cost...I bet it would be hundreds of dollars to add it afterwards (probably a $20 cost during manufacturing), if you can even get a door handle for that side of the car that will accommodate the cylinder any more!

Reply to
James C. Reeves

The reasons NOT to buy a new car just keep on stackin' up, don't they.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J Stern

Seriously though, especially for people that do aftermarket work. A lot of the new GM cars you have to keep the stock radio in the car, and silly things like that.

I'll keep my truck until it dies, and when it does, I'll rebuild it.

Reply to
Supernoma

Yep, first aluminum oil pans with easily stripped threads and now this... :-) What'll they think of next?

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting