DRL on 2003 Buick Century

Page 2 of 2

that
would,
will
Nice speech! Do you also write for G.W.? His speeches are often full of inaccuracies too. I take it that a GM representative held a gun to your head and made you buy a car with features that you dislike. Or did you just fail to research the features of the car before you bought it. Whose fault would that be? No corporate entity "mandates/imposes" DRL's. That assumes that you have no other choice. There are other marques, you know. Bottom line..YOU are responsible for knowing what you are buying. If you can't live with DRL's, don't buy 'em.
Dave
Add pictures here
βœ–
| | Nice speech! Do you also write for G.W.? His speeches are often full of | inaccuracies too. | I take it that a GM representative held a gun to your head and made you buy | a car with features that you dislike. | Or did you just fail to research the features of the car before you bought | it. | Whose fault would that be? | No corporate entity "mandates/imposes" DRL's. That assumes that you have no | other choice. There are other marques, you know. | Bottom line..YOU are responsible for knowing what you are buying. If you | can't live with DRL's, don't buy 'em. | | Dave
I had never seen or heard of a car before where the operator couldn't turn their lights off and the dealer certainly didn't disclose the fact. No matter, I was willing to take a $6,000 hit to get rid of the car, so my convictions are genuine.
Add pictures here
βœ–
James wrote:

How many convictions do you get before they take your license away?
---Bob Gross---
Add pictures here
βœ–
|> I had never seen or heard of a car before where the |> operator couldn't turn their lights off and the dealer |> certainly didn't disclose the fact. No matter, I was |> willing to take a $6,000 hit to get rid of the car, so my |> convictions are genuine. | | How many convictions do you get before they take your | license away? |
It's twelve points here to loose driving privileges. I'm not sure how many points are levied for each conviction of driving with improper lighting. Since I haven't had a ticket for anything in over 30 years, I guess I could start pressing the envelope a bit more. <g>
I realize your question was rhetorical, (and frankly irrelevant to the topic) but I couldn't resist. ;-) It amazes me that those that don't have relevant counter points to contribute to a discussion/debate tend to resort to a belittle tactic in the attempt to try and disqualify valid debate points that were made based on cited data/studies and observation. But, it is a tactic that can often work effectively. Touchι. Thinking people see through it though and can separate that information which is relevant to apply in order for them to make their own personal decision and to weed out that which is a attempt to side track the debate. You must have learned that tactic from Johnnie Cochran.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Never seen a 98 Dodge caravan then huh. Auto every light. When started the dodge had all the lights on just like you had turned on the switch. Could not be shut off with the switch either. The only function of the switch was to turn the lights on if the engine was not running.
--
Steve W.

"James C. Reeves" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com> wrote in message
βœ–
| Never seen a 98 Dodge caravan then huh. Auto every light. When started | the dodge had all the lights on just like you had turned on the switch. | Could not be shut off with the switch either. The only function of the | switch was to turn the lights on if the engine was not running. | -- | Steve W.
Incorrect, I have family members that own a 1996 Dakota SE, 1997 Grand Caravan, 2000 Neon ES, 2003 Stratus SE and I have a 2004 Sebring LXi (that I replaced the Malibu with). Lights on all of them, including my new 2004 Sebring, function only by the switch.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Well James I am not incorrect, I have the 98 sitting in the driveway. It has fully automatic lights, side markers, tail lights and dash lights ALL lights come on as soon as you start the engine. The switch ONLY works when the engine is shut off. Also the 99 that I had came with DRLs that were the marker lights , no label stating they were DRLs and Dodge sent out clear stickers stating DRL that you were supposed to put on the lights to make them legal. Now the 2000 that I ran had normal DRLs using the headlights as did the 2001. These were all company vehicles (I picked up the 98 after driving it 120,000 miles in about 9 months, so I KNOW that vehicle)
--
Steve W.

"James C. Reeves" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com> wrote in message
βœ–
Steve wrote:

I'm curious. How can you drive 120,000 miles in 9 months on one vehicle?
If I drive only 12,000 miles in 9 months, that would be a lot for me.
---Bob Gross---
Add pictures here
βœ–
The company I worked for ran the NYS Lottery. The territory I covered as a Senior Rep. covered the territory N/S from Canada's border to Penn. border and E/W from Rochester area to Albany. It was not uncommon to start out in the morning at 4:30 or so, be in Binghamton by 6 and then drive to Ogdensburg and then back to my office in Syracuse before returning to my house near Herkimer. Then making a trip the next day up to Lake Placid ,down to Albany,back up to Lake George, over to Blue Mountain Lake, then on to Watertown and down to Syracuse and back home. Most days were around 350-400 miles. Just a trip to my office was 185 round trip. That was why we had the vans, Mine was set up with 3 cell phones 2 pagers,a laptop and a GPS unit. Plus 3-4 lottery machines and attendant hardware for them. The driving is the part of the job I miss the most.
--
Steve W.

"Robertwgross" < snipped-for-privacy@cs.com> wrote in message
βœ–
Steve wrote:

Have you considered a job with Greyhound?
[...]
Heavy duty mileage for sure. How well do the vehicle hold up under that level of use? Just curious. The most I think I ever did in a year was about 35,000 miles.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Well we ran, Caravans for the most part and they have tested Dakotas and full size vans as well. The Caravans hold up real well, of course they did have a few trans problems with some of the early ones. Once Dodge redid the trannys they were much better. Most of them were over 100,000 when they were retired. The CSRs had first dibs on buying them, and many of them are still running strong. The 2001 I had was a nice rig but it only made it to 45,000 before it met a deer and the guard rails. They totaled it out with over 5,000 in damage. The Dakotas were standard cab long boxes with work caps on them, they sucked gas like there was no tomorrow, best we ever saw was 14 mpg. The vans ran 20-22 avg all had the 3.3. Biggest problem after the trans are brakes on the new ones, factory pads went about 50k but in the city they were lucky to get 10k on a set, all stop/go down there. Only other problem seemed to be the rear wing window motors but I never had a problem. Oil changes every 5-6k trans at 35k,50k,75k, tires rotated at each oil change. Not much else.
--
Steve W.

"James C. Reeves" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com> wrote in message
βœ–
| Well James I am not incorrect, I have the 98 sitting in the driveway. It | has fully automatic lights, side markers, tail lights and dash lights | ALL lights come on as soon as you start the engine. The switch ONLY | works when the engine is shut off. Also the 99 that I had came with DRLs | that were the marker lights , no label stating they were DRLs and Dodge | sent out clear stickers stating DRL that you were supposed to put on the | lights to make them legal. Now the 2000 that I ran had normal DRLs using | the headlights as did the 2001. These were all company vehicles (I | picked up the 98 after driving it 120,000 miles in about 9 months, so I | KNOW that vehicle) |
The earlier point I made was that the customer can choose DRL (or not) when non-GM. I'm sure your Chrysler products had DRL and work as you stated. But if you live in the US it doesn't have to if _you_ don't want it to. I was merely attempting (poorly apparently) to say that your description of how your Chrysler product works was "incorrect" in the implication that Chrysler DRL system are also mandatory and _always_ work that way.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dave Brower wrote:

Judging by GM's loss of market share evidently people are voting with their feet-buying other makes.
Add pictures here
βœ–