DRL's for 92 caprice classic

Hi, I am having DRL relay (from dealer) in NY installed on my 92 caprice. They ordered from GMSPO. I got info from ALLDATA to help dealer with the install, cause no one seemed to know anything about doing it. My caprice has been at dealer for 3 days now, and they tell me they are waiting for a skimatic ? The part # has changed when this bulletin was sent out buy GMSPO in

1995, so they have all the right parts. But I think they don't know where to put the 5 pin SPDT relay, wich had no instruction, just in a plastic bag !!! Any help to help them??? Thanks ( THEY HAVE ALSO CALLED THE 1-800 # AND ARE GETTING NO WHERE I GUESS!) This is the info off of ALLDATA web site.... DRL Only, KIT # 12370131 The first kit, # 12370131, is for DRL only. It can be added for owners who desire only the DRL function without Twilight Sentinel, or for vehicles that already have factory installed Twilight Sentinel. ( I ALL READY HAVE THE SENTINEL) Information For Both Kits -

  1. If the vehicle has an electronic digital dash, the DRL must be used together with automatic headlamp control/Twilight Sentinel. If the vehicle already has factory installed Twilight Sentinel, use kit #

12370131; if not, use kit # 12341366.
  1. The following vehicles will also require a standard 5-pin SPDT relay (such as P/N 12077866). Call 1-800-995-1155 for installation details. ^ Pontiac Grand Prix and Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with mini-quad headlamps (both kits). ^ 1990-96 Buick Roadmaster, Chevrolet Caprice, or 1991-92 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, with RPO T82 Twilight Sentinel option (DRL kit, #
12370131 only). 3. Both kits have easy to follow installation and operation instructions. If additional help is needed, call the DRL Help Line at 1-800-995-1155.
Reply to
bpalk

I don't know anything about this. The schematic should tell them what to do with the relay. I drive with fog lights on during the day for DRL's. I am curious why you are doing this. Most people on this forum are seeking info on how to defeat DRL.

DRL is a good thing: It makes your car more visible especially when sun glare is an issue. It reduces accidents. People: Please drive with your lights on even during the day.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

It only reduces accidents if people notice your car. People notice vehicles that are different. When everyone around you does not have DLR's and you do, then people notice you. When everyone on the road has DLR's then people aren't going to notice you any more than the non-DLR days.

People that drive through railroad crossings with red flashing lights and get struck by the train are still telling the cop that they didn't notice the crossing guard was coming down, so I kind of discount a lot of these reports of "I didn't see the other car" I think the real truth is "I didn't see the other car because I wasn't paying attention since I was talking on the phone/fumbling with the CDs in the player/ daydreaming/sleeping/reading the newspaper/etc.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Remember the "Where's Waldo" kids books from 20 years or so ago? "Waldo", a drawn character with large glasses, would be placed in several scenes with other characters. The object of the book was to find the Waldo character in each scene. Waldo was clearly visible in every scene, but wasn't particularly conspicuous in any scene. Now, if we were to give Waldo a lit flashlight, he would be more conspicuous and we could pick Waldo out right away. However, give every character in the scene a lit flashlight, and Waldo is no longer any more conspicuous than the other characters since everyone in the scene now has a flashlight. In fact, the glare from all of the flashlights would make viewing the *details* of the scene more difficult than it had been before any light was present.

By the way, this situation is happening to motorcyclists and emergency vehicles since DRLs have become so prevalent, assuming information on file at the NHTSA is correct. Proper use of lights when conditions warrant would be preferred over DRLs that are illuminated ring times when lighting is not necessary.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

If you want "DRL's", just make it a habit to hit the light switch as part of your start-up and shut down routine.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I don't know about that. You are not looking for one car in many. You want to see that one car that is or will soon be where you want to be.

It is probably true that light usage at the proper situation is best but how do you teach people when that is and how do you remember to turn them on.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

FYI, I am moving to canada, and it is required, and to have any recalls taken care of...to get a recall clearance letter. Thanks again.

Reply to
bpalk