Date: May 27, 2004

TECHNICAL

Subject: Check Engine Light On, DTC P0410 Set, Water in AIR Pump (Replace AIR Pump, Install New Hose and Shield)

Models: 2000-2002 Buick Regal 2000-2002 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo

2000-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue 2000-2002 Pontiac Grand Prix with 3.5L or 3.8L Engine (VINs H, K - RPOs LX5, L36)

Condition

Some owners may comment on the check engine light being illuminated. Upon investigation, the technician may find a DTC P0410 indicating that there is a concern in the secondary air injection system. When removing the air pump, the technician may also note evidence of water intrusion in the secondary air injection pump.

Cause

Water may have collected in the AIR pump and frozen or corroded the pump.

Correction

Replace the Secondary Air Injection Pump and install a new hose, shield and cleaner using the following procedure:

1.Raise the vehicle. 2.Remove fasteners from splash shield and reposition splash shield to gain access to AIR pump. 3.Compress the pinch clamp and remove outlet hose from pump. 4.Remove inlet hose from pump. 5.Remove fasteners holding pump. 6.Reposition pump, disconnect electrical and remove pump. 7.Lower the vehicle. 8.Remove support brace over air cleaner box. 9.Remove air cleaner box cover and filter element and reposition ECM. 10.Remove lower air cleaner box. 11.Remove old AIR inlet hose. 12.Transfer old lower inlet hose to new upper hose with new clamp. 13.Install new hose to shield. 14.Install new cleaner assembly to hose inside shield. 15.Position new assembly in vehicle and install new strap in place of removed strap to hold hose in place. 16.Drill (3) 1/4 (6 mm) holes using the shield as a template and install new plastic clips. 17.Install lower air cleaner box. 18.Install air filter, ECM and air cleaner boxcover. 19.Install support brace. 20.Raise the vehicle. 21.Position lower inlet hose and tighten new clamp. 22.Transfer parts as necessary from old pump to new pump. 23.Connect electrical connector and route wiring harness. 24.Install pump and bolts (3). 25.Tighten bolts. Tighten Tighten the bolts to 9 N.m (80 lb in). 26.Install inlet hose to pump. 27.Install outlet hose to pump. 28.Install splash shield and bolts. 29.Lower the vehicle. 30.Clear the P0410 DTC code.

-----

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial