Dumb Question: Tires

Dammit Jim, I'm a computer geek, not a mechanic.

That said, I'm wondering what the real difference between "LT" and "standard" tires is with respect to tires on an SUV. I realize that LT stands for "Light Truck," but when shopping for tires for my wife's SUV, I find many varieties of tires of the same size, some of which are rated "LT."

Does it matter which ones to get? What are the pros & cons?

Reply to
jwardl

"There are no dumb questions, only dumb people who give dumb answers." That said, the main difference between LT tires and "standard" or P-series tires is the load capacity. LT tires are designed for a heavier vehicle and generally have a somewhat harsher ride. P-series (for Passenger) are rated for lighter weight vehicles (i.e. - cars) and are somewhat "smoother" running down the road. Since SUV's are generally heavier vehicles, I suggest sticking with an LT-series tire. Of course, anyone is free to correct me.

Personally, I use and recommend the Michelin LTX (found almost everywhere) or the X Radial LT (found at Costco and Sam's) - essentially the same tire. They have a good ride, good handling, and wear like iron.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race