Duplicate key made from VIN # ?

Page 2 of 4  

Which part about Ian sees this every day in the [GM] dealership where he works is too hard for you to understand?

You're claiming that GM is incapable of maintaining a [very] simple database. They're inept, but not -that- inept.

How many decades have you been out of the loop? Here's a news flash; the VIN is now used to determine many things about which specific equipment was installed on a vehicle when it was built, right down to the interior trim color and whether it has power seats and rear air conditioning. Is this coded in the VIN? Of course not (and no one claimed that it was), but the VIN allows access to a database that contains the information. No different than pushing a sequence of buttons on a radio to get a numerical readout, inputting those numbers into an automated telephone database and getting an unlock code. <zoom, right over Hunters head>

No it is not, not by current technology.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
That may be your opinion but you do not know what you are talking about. You can prove it to yourself, take down somebody VIN go to a dealership and ask them to cut you a key and see what happens. LOL
mike hunt
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Says the guy who insists that there was a Mitsubishi V-6 engine option in a Chrysler product that required that the engine be jacked up in order to change the oil filter; a fact that's been refuted by two different (Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth) dealership mechanics in two different countries who together have a combined working experience of over 50 years.

Don't need to, I've already done it. Maybe it's because I have a 26 year working history at the GM dealership and they know that it's a legitimate request. Maybe it's because my brother in law works at the Dodge dealership where I have a 30 year working history and they know that it's a legitimate request. Maybe it's because I have a 18 year working history at the Ford dealership and they know it's a legitimate request.
If it never worked for you maybe it's because you talk funny... I bet that you get laughed at and ignored a LOT.
Face it Hunter, there are lots of things that -I- can do that you can't even begin to fathom.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
How much did you get for the vehicle you stole? LOL
mike hunt
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

"Stole?" According to you, that would be impossible.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that that is all the farther that your brain can comprehend.
Ever hear of locks that don't work as they should? Has it occurred to you that there are trained service personnel out there whose job it is to repair such problems? Or should they just throw the vehicle away because the ignition lock is stuck?
Imagine that... I can call a dealership parts department and have an ignition lock cylinder coded and ready to go that matches the original key. They actually -do- that if you're not brain dead.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mike Hunter wrote:

No problem, just did it with my son's car today.
And for the other folks reading, there are still plenty of vehicles that do not use security style keys.
Ian
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
What does getting key cut for you sons car have to do with stealing somebody car? LOL
mike hunt

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Nothing. (I'm sure that Ian carries the title to his sons car in his wallet) But it does prove that the only thing(s) you know about dealership operations is where the mens room was and where the owner hid his bottle of Gin.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mike Hunter wrote:

You are the one that says a person can't read a VIN and get a key cut that works. You are wrong. You also assume that criminals can't have people working on the inside. Fortunately, our dealership requires proof of ownership before they will cut keys for anyone.
Ian
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
> On 6/5/2006 10:20 PM ... shiden_kai wrote:

Of course he is wrong on this one.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
If that is what you believe try to get a key cut for your neighbors car and see what happens LOL
mike hunt

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
> On 6/5/2006 10:02 AM ... Mike Hunter wrote:

I left my 1987 Caravan at a dealer for work 15 years ago and forgot to leave the key for them. When I got to work and realized what had happened, I called my service adviser to see if I had to get a ride back there to give them the key. I was told by the service adviser that she had another key made from the VIN# and I didn't need to come in. So, dealers obviously have had the capability to do this for over 10 years now!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Duh that was YOUR car. LOL
mike hunt

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You're splitting hairs. No, you cannot determine the key code using a single character in the VIN, and I don't think anyone other than yourself said something to indicate they thought this. However, the VIN may be used, by an authorized person, to obtain the code using GM's database. I can't imagine GM is unable to record the key code used on a given vehicle at the time of assembly and leaves it up to the selling dealer to record this code, thus forcing the owner to FIND said selling dealer (if no the original owner) to make a new key. As was said before, GM isn't THAT inept or poor at record-keeping. Not to mention that it would make road-side assistance calls VERY difficult if an owner needs a key cut while on vacation because theirs got dropped in the ocean.
Now, if the vehicle in question has been re-keyed, that's another story.
On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 17:35:42 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
What part of 'The VIN will reveal the registered owner and that will permit an authorized person to find the key code and have a key cut for your car,' did you not understand?
If you knew anything about what happens on the assembly line you would know the manufacture does not record the key code at time of assembly. The key code is determined by the supplier and recorded on the tabs attached to the keys, included with the lock set, that comes out of a box on the assembly line. When the car is reported to the manufacture as sold by the dealership, the key code is supplied by the dealership to the manufacture for the data base and warranty purposes. It is also supplied to the lending institution, although, with all the litigation today some prefer to be simply be given a PAT key.. Some dealership will not reveal the code to anybody, not even the manufacture for the same reason.
Dealerships do have a computerized key cutter that can cut another, but it can not install the PAT code if you do not have a SECOND key to enter into the machine. It can only do so if one has TWO keys. In the absence of a second key a separate scan tool must be attached to the vehicle, to down load the PAT code off the vehicle microprocessor. That is why it costs so much to have a PAT key cut, if a person does not have a second key. Things are designed that way so that somebody, like a valet parking attendant can not copy your ONE key, or a person having only the VIN can not have a key made that will start YOUR car.
So in essence for a dealership to cut a key that will start your car they need the car, or two keys. My answer to the original question, 'Can anybody simply look at your VIN and go to a dealership and get a key cut, still stands as the correct answer to the question asked, no they can not.
PS My advice always take a second key when away from home. When I travel, my wife takes her key to that car as well, and I carry a key hidden inside my cars for that reason. It is not like the old days when you could have a key cut anywhere just by carrying the key code with you. ;)
mike hunt

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

In the really good old days, I remember trying the 55 Chevy keys and it fitting some other GM cars of that era. No need for codes, just try enough and you will find the right one.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The VIN will reveal the registered owner at the Department of Motor Vehicles. There is a much less than 100% chance that the OEM can track an owner via VIN once the car has changed hands until and/or unless the new owner frequents a dealership and the VIN is reassigned to the new owner/customer.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph. The alpha numeric key codes were printed on the window sticker as far back as 1980. The alpha numeric codes and the Briggs&Stratton master code manual were all that was needed to cut new keys. If I did it once, I did it one hundred times after a transport driver did an after hours delivery and locked the keys in the car instead of walking his lazy ass over to the after hours keys deposit slot and dropping them in.

Not all cars have Passive Anti-Theft, and not all PATS vehicles have the PATS coded into the key, so stop with the red herring.

Happens every day.

That something this simple is a two person job in your household is not surprising...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I guess you are free to believe whatever you wish LOL
mike hunt
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

All you do is guess.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mike Hunter wrote:

Michael, Michael, Michael
I admire your strength of conviction, but as usual you are as full of shit as a Christmas turkey. Life in your parallel universe must be a wonderful thing. "But most of us don't live anywhere near perfect ..."
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.