Duplicate key made from VIN # ?

I guess you are free to believe whatever you wish LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

All you do is guess.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Can't make a key copy BUT they can apply your VIN to a ALREADY STOLEN car. Happened to me in FL

4 yrs ago. Crooks stole a 99 Caddy (in 2002) in Alabama and someone copied my VIN and re-painted the car and put on a fake VIN plate. Had my car impounded for 2 days as possible stolen while the local PD checked things out. (Identity Theft for Cars. Now you know why I keep a piece of black electrical tape over my VIN plate.
Reply to
Magnetic Water

Who cares if cops don't like it? All that matters is if it complies with law and regulation. Never heard of either that says you can't place things on your dash that might cover that number up.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Yeah but that's Canada. Here in the U.S. the government is on the side of protecting the ability of businesses to operate how they want, insulate them from any connection to crime or liability, and just give lip service to protecting the rights of the common citizen. At least if it might interfere with business interests.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Chop shop or shipping container, depending on the demand for you car.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Here again Mike, you talk out both sides of your ass. If there truly were NO RELATIONSHIP between VIN and key code, dealers would NEVER (not even sometimes) be able to obtain a key code by knowing the VIN. Obviously one can get you the other. It's just a matter of how many security measures may (or may not) be employed while doing so.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

OMFG, look. The whole original point questions was basically, if someone learns your VIN, could that enable them to get a key that will let them steal your car.

The actual, truthful answer to that is this:

There is the potential that such could happen given the right circumstances. Circumstances such as security standards adhered to (or the lack of doing so), or "inside" people. In the real world, security practices can often be lax and also in the real world, trusted employees can aid thrives. So yeah, covering your VIN could reduce your risk of being a victim of theft.

Is knowing a VIN a GUARANTEE of easily getting working keys made for a vehicle you don't own? Nooooo, it isn't. But Mike (are you listening), that wan't the question.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Don't worry Ian, you have credibility around here. Anyone who's spent much time in here knows that, and also knows about Mike's "facts." I suppose newcomers could be vulnerable but...

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Reply to
SgtSilicon

But what if instead of making Randy pay money for the drugs, they get him to pay in service to them. Keymaking service. I guess then you could steal a $40K car for a bit of blow. Sounds like a hell of an investment.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Here in Canada, the procedure is fairly simple. You go to an online site called GMACCESS, type in the VIN number and you get all sorts of info on the vehicle. RPO codes, warranty repair history, key code information...etc. The security measure lies with the person who either gets a call from somebody wanting a key code or is dealing with a live customer who wants another key cut. That's the only real security measure.

ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks Ian. And that should be a wake up call to people that covering their VIN might not be such a bad idea.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

I should change that a bit. "We" can go to an online site called GMACCESS. The general public can't get there.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

The bulletin I cited applies to GM delaers in the US as well. The reference to Canada is to the outside vendor that GM-Canada uses for data warehousing.

Bill

Reply to
William H. Bowen

Mike,

You are dead wrong about this. Since the mid '80 for sure, GM has in its database the key codes for all cars tied to the VIN of the car, along with the numbers of various subassemblies such as transmissions and such.

The one circumstance where you would not be able to get key codes for a GM car from GM is if the locks where changed AFTER the car was built and the new locks where not coded the same as the originals.

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

"Mike Hunter" wrote:

Reply to
William H. Bowen

I left my 1987 Caravan at a dealer for work 15 years ago and forgot to leave the key for them. When I got to work and realized what had happened, I called my service adviser to see if I had to get a ride back there to give them the key. I was told by the service adviser that she had another key made from the VIN# and I didn't need to come in. So, dealers obviously have had the capability to do this for over 10 years now!

Reply to
jcr

Of course he is wrong on this one.

Reply to
jcr

He doesn't confuse me. I've had a dealer cut a key for one of my cars with no other knowledge beyond the VIN#. He can say what he wants.

Reply to
jcr

Duh that was YOUR car. LOL

mike hunt