Duplicate key made from VIN # ?

Page 3 of 4  
Nor do you live in THIS world apparently, what color is the sky in YOUR world? My knowledge of the question ask is based on my years as Group Sales
Manager for one of the largest mega-deal groups on the east cost. In my reply to the original poster to the question; 'Can someone copy your VIN number off your dashboard and then go to a dealer and have a key made from the number,' I said in part, no and anybody who tries to tell you something different has no idea what they are talking about. You are entitle to your opinion but not your own facts.
A quick search of the NHTSA site, for the definition of the seventeen digits of the VIN, will reveal you are wrong my dear friend Rob, not me, there is nothing in the VIN concerning the key code. No dealership would authorize any employee to cut a key for any person, not know by the dealership to be the rightful owner of that vehicle, simply because they knew the VIN. .
If you discover anything different than what is found on the NHTSA site, I would be more than glad to look at any evidence to the contrary. ;)
By the way do you EVER have friends over for Christmas dinner that eats your stuffing,? ;)
mike hunt

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

So, you'd know then right off the top of your head what the exact torque specifications are for the rocker arm bolts on a GM 3400 engine in a 2002 Montana mini-van is, right?
IOWs, why would a sales manager know jack shit about cutting keys when that is the lot boys job?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I believe he is saying the vin does not directly reveal key info, the vin leads to a data bank where the info is available to specified dealer personel that have verified owner ship of that vin/ vehicle. This is the was it was for me as a GM and Toyota SM till 98.
wrote:

-
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Then he has a severe reading comprehension problem since no one claimed that it was.

Same as what we had available in a public utility fleet.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Shep wrote:

It doesn't matter what "he" says. The fact is that Randy in parts can go out to my son's car, which I happened to park in a spot on the employee's parking lot which "Randy in parts" thinks is "his parking spot" and he can read the VIN thru the window, he can cut keys for the car, and then he can punt my son's car out of the spot that he believes belongs to him. Of course, he won't do this, but he's threatened in the past few days.
You guys are hilarious. This stuff is common knowledge. Of course the VIN is connected to the key code. It always has been. Whether it's directly connected or indirectly connected thru a database makes no difference. If someone gives me a Canadian VIN, I can get a key cut that will physically match the key that comes from that car, with that VIN.
But guys like Mike live in their own little world , believing whatever they want to. Unfortunately, they spread their uninformed bullshit everywhere they manage to type on usenet, and confuse the hell out of the poor sap who's trying to get a straight answer.
Ian
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dateline did a show on this very subject. They got keys made (with hidden cameras running) with stolen VIN numbers. Parts guy never asks for ID or proof of ownership. Go figure.
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
JRL wrote:

<snip>
Dateline also did a show that proved how "dangerous" the sidesaddle fuel tanks were on a Chevy pickup. The problem with the "proof" was that the subject "dangerous truck" exploded about 1/2 second BEFORE the collision with another vehicle.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dateline did a show where they set GM trucks on fire a while back, as well. LOL

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Where was that?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
That is a far different situation, then what the original questioner asked. I'm sure 'Randy' could go down the street and bring back some heron as well. The fact remains one can not go to a dealership with a VIN from somebody else's car and walk out and steal the car, no matter what you believe.
mike hunt

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 10:28:37 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

But what if instead of making Randy pay money for the drugs, they get him to pay in service to them. Keymaking service. I guess then you could steal a $40K car for a bit of blow. Sounds like a hell of an investment.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Don't worry Ian, you have credibility around here. Anyone who's spent much time in here knows that, and also knows about Mike's "facts." I suppose newcomers could be vulnerable but...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
> On 6/4/2006 11:37 PM ... shiden_kai wrote:

He doesn't confuse me. I've had a dealer cut a key for one of my cars with no other knowledge beyond the VIN#. He can say what he wants.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Hi Guys and Girls Been watching this "Crazy" thread for days.
Lets all agree that Dishonest people working in dealerships DO have the ability to cut these Keys!! VINS do provide the info. It's truly up to people who make these keys to check out that the rightfull person who owns the vehicle is the one who they are making the key for!!
Larry from NJ
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Well said - and what you said is the main thrust of the GM P&P Manual pontification on this issue. Also, GM makes a strong point about having one trusted employee be the "point person" for such key requests.
Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Precisely what some of us have been saying, one can not get a key cut that will start somebody else vehicle by simply knowing the VIN. ;)
mike hunt .

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 09:40:39 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mike Hunter wrote:

Yaaaawn......
Ian
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
For what it's worth, I currently have, sitting on my property, a vehicle th at is registered to NOBODY as it is a salvage-titled theft recovery that I have in fact gotten the VIN specific key for, due to the original being los t in the theft. To answer the ORIGINAL query - thus avoiding all of the ign orant semantics - one can, yes, acquire a key by knowing only the VIN. I ha ve it setting on my property now as proof. No person is registered on this vehicle, the title is 'open', however, due to my physical posession of it a nd it's documentation I was able to get a replacement VIN-Matched key for i t. If you are concerned about your own vehicle, you can put tape over the l ast 6-8 numbers of you VIN tag as a precaution without overly upsetting law enforcement. I deal with this often enough and just hope that this helps t o answer the original question.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 07:51:19 -0400, "Larry from N.J."

That's what some of us have been saying over and over. Mike Hunter can't handle the truth though.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.