Duplicate key made from VIN # ?

Page 4 of 4
Sort of a logical conclusion, when one takes the time to think it through, isn't it Shep? ;)
mike hunt

OMFG, look. The whole original point questions was basically, if someone learns your VIN, could that enable them to get a key that will let them steal your car.
The actual, truthful answer to that is this:
There is the potential that such could happen given the right circumstances. Circumstances such as security standards adhered to (or the lack of doing so), or "inside" people. In the real world, security practices can often be lax and also in the real world, trusted employees can aid thrives. So yeah, covering your VIN could reduce your risk of being a victim of theft.
Is knowing a VIN a GUARANTEE of easily getting working keys made for a vehicle you don't own? Nooooo, it isn't. But Mike (are you listening), that wan't the question.

What I do know is there is nothing in the VIN that will get anybody, but the registered owner off the vehicle, a key cut at a dealership. What I do know is there is, it the selling dealer does not record the key code from the tab on the keys when the car arrives at the dealership there will be no record of the key code to connect the VIN to the key code. The original question was. 'Can anybody read the VIN and go to a dealer and acquire a key.' that is not going to happen not matter what you believe.
mike hunt

Mike,
You are dead wrong about this. Since the mid '80 for sure, GM has in its database the key codes for all cars tied to the VIN of the car, along with the numbers of various subassemblies such as transmissions and such.
The one circumstance where you would not be able to get key codes for a GM car from GM is if the locks where changed AFTER the car was built and the new locks where not coded the same as the originals.
Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

Mike Hunter wrote:

Ah, that explains why you always radiate that aura of "full of shit."
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Here again Mike, you talk out both sides of your ass. If there truly were NO RELATIONSHIP between VIN and key code, dealers would NEVER (not even sometimes) be able to obtain a key code by knowing the VIN. Obviously one can get you the other. It's just a matter of how many security measures may (or may not) be employed while doing so.
SgtSilicon wrote:

Here in Canada, the procedure is fairly simple. You go to an online site called GMACCESS, type in the VIN number and you get all sorts of info on the vehicle. RPO codes, warranty repair history, key code information...etc. The security measure lies with the person who either gets a call from somebody wanting a key code or is dealing with a live customer who wants another key cut. That's the only real security measure.
ian

Thanks Ian. And that should be a wake up call to people that covering their VIN might not be such a bad idea.
SgtSilicon wrote:

I should change that a bit. "We" can go to an online site called GMACCESS. The general public can't get there.
Ian

Can't make a key copy BUT they can apply your VIN to a ALREADY STOLEN car. Happened to me in FL 4 yrs ago. Crooks stole a 99 Caddy (in 2002) in Alabama and someone copied my VIN and re-painted the car and put on a fake VIN plate. Had my car impounded for 2 days as possible stolen while the local PD checked things out. (Identity Theft for Cars. Now you know why I keep a piece of black electrical tape over my VIN plate.

Dealership requires proof of ownership.
On Thu, 7 Jul 2016 07:36:47 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, as they should. My boss went to Europe and took his key. His wife used the car and locked the keys inside. No one would use a slim jim as there was a lot that could go wrong. It took some doing for the dealer to give the information to a local locksmith that knows who we are.