EGR Valve?

I have 1994 Chev. Corsica with a 6 Cyl. engine, 150,000 miles. It started giving me a check engine light, and had it run on diagonostics and it said there was a problem with the EGR valve. Since it is easily accessible I took it off and cleaned it thoroughly, and it ran fine, other than the check engine light still came on occasionally. Now, I am having additional problems, and was wondering if the valve had went bad what would the symptoms be. Right now, it will start sometimes, and run just fine, and then it will not start at all, acts like it is not getting any fuel. Would appreciate any help. I do not have a problem changing out the valve myself (just 2 bolts and an electric connection) but would like some advice as to whether this could be the problem.

Reply to
bassmn

usually when they go out (really out) the car will idle like crap - if it idles at all - & will suffer from initial takeoff hesitation, but (usually) wide open throttle doesn't show as many symptoms. there are two basic kinds of egr problems besides a gasket leaking...... 1 - egr not operating. this one will throw a check engine light, but the car will run fine 99.9% of the time until it does something like eat up an o2 sensor or something like that. 2 - egr valve leaking when it's supposed to be shut. this one will throw a check engine light too, and this is the one that makes the car idle bad, etc - because it is dumping exhaust gas right into the intake, at idle, regardless of throttle position due to a burned/worn valve seat. in either case, if the valve is bad in either of these ways, it should be replaced before it causes other problems. other things can make the ecu think the egr is bad though - most noteably, a vacuum not hooked up to the egr valve, or hooked to the wrong port, or the vacuum solenoid that opens to deliver vacuum to the egr (possibly the electrical connection you mentioned) is malfunctioning, not letting vacuum go to the egr, so the egr doesn't open. if you have a vacuum pump, you can apply vacuum to the intake side of the valve, then using a jumper wire, hook that valve up to a battery & check the egr for movement (or check the opposite side of the valve for vacuum).

Reply to
superchuckles

Hey giggles, what vacuum? That EGR is 100% electronic, no vacuum involved what-so-ever.

Reply to
aarcuda69062