Emotional Day At The Junkyard

Wow, that's a great post! I know very much how you felt that day. My father and grandfather were both mechanics. Although I'm not a mechanic by trade, I still must have inherited the gene because I love maintaining cars, repairing cars, buying cars, selling cars, learning about cars, and looking at cars.I often find myself emotionally attached to a particular model.

Recently, I had a similar experience while at a local "U-Pull-It" where I was looking for some parts for an '84 Fiero that I was toying with. I came across a cream yellow 1976 Monte Carlo with a black landau roof that looked exactly like the one my grandparents purchased new in 1975. After opening the trunk and finding a switch for a homemade burgler alarm that my grandfather made, I was certain this was the car! I was too young to remember the actual purchase, but I do remember growing up with the car in the family. My grandmother drove the car until my grandfather passed away in '94 at which point the car was sold to a friend of mine. Shortly after my friend took posession with 110,000 miles, the tranny started to slip, the inside door handle broke, windshield wipers quit, radio went, radiator sprung a bad leak, and a few other issues. I lost touch with my friend and the car shortly after that, but was reunited with the car almost 10 years later. The engine and tranny had been removed and there was some body damage, but the black vinyl seats were still in decent shape. I pocketed the "Landau" logo off the dash. I remember being intrigued by that logo as a kid - wondering why it didn't light up for some odd reason, hehe. Anyway, my grandmother passed away last year, just a short while before I discovered the car in the junkyard. I remember laughing to myself with a tear in my eye remembering once - years ago - that grandma said she "loved that car so much she wanted to be buried in it". I wished my grandmother had made it just a few more months. Even though she had been in bad health for some time, I think she would have enjoyed seeing pictures of her old Monte.

Okay, I'm all sad now. I remember how that car still looked showroom new and how meticulously it was cared for all those years until it was sold. Sometimes it's funny how you don't miss a car until you don't have it anymore. It's even more odd why some of us become so emotionally attached to cars.

Roger

"Harry Face" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-2113.public.lawson.webtv.net...

Reply to
zroger73

Harry...I drove my moms 1981 Holiday 88 (diesel) when one of the below cars blew the fuel pump. I never saw a two door bucket seat grandpa mobile look so cool...I wish I had that car too!! I'd give a small mint to have one of my first three cars.. The first was a

1979 Olds Cutlass two door, ,silver with burgundy interior. It had a 260 diesel motor, that I eventually blew the fuel pump out of. $300 for a new fuel pump or $300 for an Olds Rocket 330 (yes 330) out of a 1967 Cutlass. The car never had any get up and go because of the tranny and rear end gearing for the diesel....mmmmm....back seat had much action!! Well, I went into the military and my dad sold the car. The owner painted it white and subsequently wrecked it. Probably in the crusher long ago...... Car number two was a little odd. It was a 1981 Olds Cutlass with "Virginian" trim and badging. Two door, dark burgandy seats..with little tiny polka dots. The paint color was a cross between gold silver and grey, called Antique Metallic Mist. It had a 260 V-8 that sounded really cool with holes in the exhaust..(never could afford to replace it). Whish I knew whert went.....or how rare the Virginian badging was. I have only ever seen ONE....Took the rear window badge for proof when I traded it!! Got out of basic and drove it to my first duty assignment. Got married and traded it for a beautiful 1987 Olds Cutlass. Got orders overseas and sold the car to my dad, who sold it and then it got wrecked.....

Anyone got a 1987 Cutlass or 442 for sale!!

Reply to
eightupman