Employee Discount for Everyone

Page 2 of 2
<RJ> wrote:

These laws were already in place in the late 60's to go into effect in the early 70's. In fact GM did have a herd of lawyers to fight the silly smog laws but also had a herd of engineers to solve the smog problems too. TOYota OTOH did nothing except wait to see just what silly U.S. smog laws would be passed then went on to try to solve them. Funny how both , in fact all auto makers bought into the same stupid things regarding smog controls.

Hey, I'm a Union member myself - IBEW - although it's been about 20 years since I worked in that industry.so technically I'm inactive.
You can't paint all unions with the same brush. Unions are very individualistic. Some have done a lot of good things - there's a lot of guys who would be dead today if it wern't for IBEW training - but there are others like the teachers unions who it is very hard to see what it is that they do that is good for either their members or society in general.
And not all unions help their members either. Years ago my wife worked at the local Zoo here, and one day she had a dispute with her supervisor who was an idiot. She had worked there 5 years the supervisor for 4 months - and the supervisor's past job was being some sort of lead worker at a restaurant. The supervisor wrote my wife up and she filed a greviance and grieved it. The Zoo just sat on it and stalled and stalled, kept putting her off, never judged it good or bad. The union didn't lift a finger to help my wife even though lots of witnesses where there and supported my wife's version not the lying supervisor's version. And my wife had been paying dues into that union for the last 5 years. My wife eventually quit. We heard from friends that 3 years later the supervisor got fired so obviously the Zoo never thought much of this supervisor.
I think there's still a need for unions these days, Walmart for example is crying out for one. But do you see the AFL-CIO putting a lot of money and muscle into trying to organize Walmart employees? No! Instead they are putting their effort into trying to organize doctors and computer programmers!

These far away lands like India and China are where the US was before the union organizing efforts got going. Yet do you see the unions in the US today spending a lot of time and money supporting organizations like the Indian New Trade Union Initiative (NTUI) Hell no!
If the AFL-CIO quit trying to organize computer programmers in the US and concentrated on organizing them in India, it would raise wages for those employees over there, helping those people, and some of the work would come back to the US, helping the people here. In fact that is exactly what the NTUI in India is advocating - they don't like US companies outsourcing to India anymore than we do here. Outsourcing doesen't provide stable employment anyone can depend on anywhere, and the outsourcers in India hire employees on contract there, as they get contracts from here - it does not help to create a stable high tech industry that can be used as a future growth industry for that country either.
Ted

Very well said.
It has been my experience that a union or local is only as good as it's members. You sorta get the representation you deserve.
Roy