Energy Absorber Cracked

Pulled the front bumper fascia off the Park Avenue today. What a job, I started out just wanting to rotate the tires, but seeing I had the car in the air I thought I'd try to see why I have fascia droop in the front.

Pulled off the splash shield under the radiator pan and the wheel well extension splash shield. Couldn't see anything there. Removed the turnsiganal assembly. I Could see through the aluminum impact bar that is behind the energy absorber, which is a hard styrofoam.

I see two nuts on threaded studs sticking through the lip of the fender where the fascia meets it. Removed the two nuts. Pull the fascia down and away from the studs and pulled out front corner and it almost fell on the ground. Next I had to remove the passengerside splash shield, the same two nuts and unplug the turnsignal sockets from the housing.

Sitting in front of the car I pulled straight out on the fascia and it was off. Not much to it.

The license plate bracket is riveted onto the fascia and the rivets must go through the styrofoam. I didn't bother with trying to remove it.

I could see a crack about 15 inches long on the top edge of the energy absorber where it would curve down over the top edge of the aluminum impact bar. Two small 4 inch wide blocks of styrofoam that jut out underneath the impact bar are cracked and seem to actually hinge away from the impact bar.

You can lift the fascia up about an 1 or more. Other Buick bumpers I've pulled on don't do this.

I guess the cracked styrofoam is the reason the fascia droops down. My buddy at Chevy said about $81 for a new energy absorber. Boneyards around here don't have anything that will fit.

I did get the wheels rotated & I waxed them too and waxed the inner diameter too.

harryface

05 Park Avenue 37,216 91 Bonnevile 306,382
Reply to
Harry Face

$81 isn't too bad. Sounds like it could be an all day job though.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Was the car in an accident?

Reply to
jcr

Paulie

It sounds like an all day job but if you don't futts around I could have that bumper fascia off in 12 minutes.

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

JCR asked was the car in an accident?

From what I can tell no it wasn't . No plastic weld repairs are visible on the inside of the fascia. All the sheet metal, brackets , hardware, and everthing else behind the bumper fascia appears to be untouched.

What I think happened is somebody run up to far over a parking block and scuffed up the paint on the lower the fascia - and probably tore loose the black air deflector.

The black deflector that runs around the bottom of the fascia is held on by a pinch band. According to the GM parts print out there are no screws attaching it, but somebody drilled three holes through it and run sheet metal screws through it. One at each corner and dead center.

Harryface

Reply to
Harry Face