eng pwr reduced

I have a '07 Saturn Aura with 211K miles on it. I was driving on the highw ay earlier today with the cruise set on 70. Without warning the cruise dis
engaged, I heard a few "bongs," and my DIC was displaying ENG PWR REDUCED a nd SERVICE TRACTION (not sure if that's exact, but, it mentioned the tracti on). I noticed immediately that I only had about half of my usual accelera tion. I pulled over, turned off the car, and waited a few seconds before r estarting the engine. The same DIC messages appeared when I started the ca r again. I drove it the remaining 25 miles to work. When I got to work I shut it off and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I then started it back up and the messages didn't reappear.
I realize there are a great many things that can cause this condition. Wha t's the best case scenario? What's the worst case scenario?
On 4/16/2015 8:38 AM, Shawn wrote:

Cars can go into a "safe mode" when things go wrong. You can drive, but at reduced performance. Something is starting to go bad, it could be something like the Throttle Position Sensor.
Get the codes read and it may tell you something. Cars don't fix themselves so yu may be able to nab this before it happens again, especially in a bad spot. Some auto part stores read the codes for free.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

http://wnep.com/2014/05/15/gm-announces-new-recall-of-2-7-million-vehicles/
--
Steve W.