Engine Cleaning Additives - What is good and what is not?

Hi,
I have a 2001 Buick Century with about 40,000 miles (60,000 km) on it and change my oil every 4,000 to 4,500 miles with Mobil 1 5W30 oil. I have heard and read
about these additives that one can add to their oil and it cleans the engine out. I was wondering if someone has tried this and if it makes any difference. My concern is that if any crap gets loose with these detergents, it could possibly block parts of the engine and restrict oil flow in those areas and cause more harm then good. Is that possible or am I wrong.

With your use of a high-quality synthetic oil and regular filter changes, nothing else is needed. The oil has all the detergents required to keep the engine innards clean and free.
Dave S(Texas)
Don't do it. Just do the oil and filter changes, and watch for signs of a leaking intake gasket.

As the other posters mentioned if your changing the oil & filter regularly there is no need for cleaners or additives.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,626 miles_~_~_

Mobil One is already a high-quality/high detergent oil. Your engine is clean as a whistle inside.
Dennis Smith
why are you changing your oil so often? are you on a heavy duty cycle (short trips, dusty conditions, ...). from everything i have seen, using a synthetic you should be going at least twice as long as you are.
i have always wondered how to determine when i should change oil. on the 94 bonneville i had until last year i went 5,000 to 7,500 and never had any problems.
Car Guy wrote:

I only drive about 12000 km or about 7500 miles a year. I change the oil every 6 months or 6,000 km.