Engine overheat and cool air -thermostat?

Page 2 of 2
On 21 Mar 2006 08:21:06 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I don't see where you have both. The symptoms you describe seem to indicate the thermostat is sticking closed and it's taking increasing temperature and pressure to get it to open. The "no heat in car so thermostat is stuck in open position" doesn't always mean that. Actually, you will have very slow heating with an open t-stat. That's how I knew my La Sabre's needed replacement. No heat at all (and a red lined temp gauge) sounds like it's sticking closed and not opening. I had an '86 Isuzu Pickup do that to me.

Any reputable auto parts store should be sufficient. Be sure you get the right temperature t-stat for your truck.

Since you didn't indicate what kind of truck you have, it's hard to say, but an hour or less is about average for the DIY'er. For the cost of a t-stat and it's relative ease of replacement, I'd start with that. And I'd go ahead and do a flush and hose check, too.
Semi plugged heater core. get it blown out at a rad joint or do it yourself . Put the garden hose into the hose going into the firewall to heater core and undo the return to the thermostat housing I think and let run . On 21 Mar 2006 08:21:06 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: