Engine Replacement Questions - 92 Lumina 3.1

Hello All:

My brother has a 92 Lumina, and the engine's got multiple problems. It blew a headgasket, and warped a head, and we were given a quote of $800 to fix it. The car has 240,000 KM on it, and the body and chassis are quite good. It's a 3.1 V6.

Just a few questions-

Is it pretty straight forward to remove and replace the engine in the car - from above, or does the frame have to be dropped to do it? I've done a few engine changes - Dodge K-cars, others...

Will the 2.8 MPFI (87-newer) fit in, or does it have to be a 3.1 from a '92? There are a few low-km engines for sale locally for $200 or so...I think I read something about the digital EGR causing problems.

Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks!

Marc M

Reply to
Marc

"Marc" wrote

Lumina 'car'....right? Not the van? If it's the car, the engine comes out the top...no need to drop the chassis. Pretty easy engine r and r as GM vehicles go.

If I were you, I would attempt to get the same year engine, from the same type of vehicle. If you are getting a used engine, the wrecking yard often has the means to figure out what engines from what vehicles will work. But....be prepared to switch over a number of items. Plus, if your original engine was running good before the head gasket went....I'd use all the fuel injection gear from the old engine and all the wires, coil packs, sensors...etc from the old engine.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Re: Engine Replacement Questions - 92 Lumina 3.1 Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Thu, Jan 29, 2004, 12:14am (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (shiden_Kai) "Marc" wrote My brother has a 92 Lumina, and the engine's got multiple problems. It blew a headgasket, and warped a head, and we were given a quote of $800 to fix it. The car has 240,000 KM on it, and the body and chassis are quite good. It's a 3.1 V6. Just a few questions- Is it pretty straight forward to remove and replace the engine in the car - from above, or does the frame have to be dropped to do it? I've done a few engine changes - Dodge K-cars, others... Lumina 'car'....right? Not the van? If it's the car, the engine comes out the top...no need to drop the chassis. Pretty easy engine r and r as GM vehicles go. Will the 2.8 MPFI (87-newer) fit in, or does it have to be a 3.1 from a '92? There are a few low-km engines for sale locally for $200 or so...I think I read something about the digital EGR causing problems. If I were you, I would attempt to get the same year engine, from the same type of vehicle. If you are getting a used engine, the wrecking yard often has the means to figure out what engines from what vehicles will work. But....be prepared to switch over a number of items. Plus, if your original engine was running good before the head gasket went....I'd use all the fuel injection gear from the old engine and all the wires, coil packs, sensors...etc from the old engine. Ian

What is wrong with the block you have? Low on compression,oil seeping past your rings? Not telling you to not change out your engine...But why if its just a head problem... And then to goto a smaller engine?Ian is correct about the digital egr...Also if you downgrade to a smaller engine I think you need to change out your PCM because everything will be out of range.....But dont quote me on that.... Steve C

Reply to
S C

If you get the same year and size engine, why not just swap the parts over instead of replacing the whole thing?

Reply to
Supernoma

We were able to get an engine out of a '92 Grand Prix. The car itself was pretty well licked, but we were able to take it for a drive, and the engine sounded and ran really well. Looks like it was replaced at one point as it was really clean and dry as compared to the rest of the car.

Thanks for the advice!

Marc

Reply to
Marc