Engine Swap Help

I am attempting to swap in a 350 into a 79 malibu that currently has a weak 267. I am at the point where I need to remove the Transmission to Engine bolts from the 267. I broke loose the bottom two but can not even see the remainder of the bolts. Do you get at them from the top of the car or underneath? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Kwiki

Chevrolet

"Kwiki" wrote in news:1158455839.542351.104300 @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Times like this, a $10 Haynes or Chilton's comes in handy. It could save you hours in time, just on removal of parts alone. I like those old Malibus. One of my first cars was a near mint '79 Malibu that I got in '91 from my uncle. It only had like 70K miles, ran perfect, only problem was someone had ran into him, and the bodyshop didn't match the paint 100% correctly on one of the front fenders. I only paid $400 for it. I traded it for a cream puff sky blue 1984 Buick Regal V6 with only about 70k miles also. Gawd, those cars had style/character, unlike the bland transportation appliances of today.

Reply to
grappletech

Those really long extensions are especially useful on tranny bolts. I'm quite sure I've done one on a similar car and there others much more difficult than this. It is possible you could benefit from taking the cross member from under the transmission out which would pivot the rear of the engine downward and expose the remaining bolts, but I don't remember having to do that. Just kind of a bitch, that's all--nothing you can't handle with the right tools. I can't speak, however, to if the engine and trans are completely compatible in all other ways, though.

Reply to
James Goforth

The Trans has 4 bolts, You can take the trans out with the engine by removing crossmember. Consider replacing crossmember mounts, as old ones are probably toast, and will swell up like campfire marshmallows once unbolted. The top trans bolts are easily accessed from under hood, the lowers can be reached by hooking up crane, lifting engine, blocking up trans, and moving assembly forward, past motor mounts. Unbolt torque converter from flywheel before loosening trans bolts, some thin rope, wire, or similar, can be slipped through gap between engine and trans, and used to hold torque converter in place.

Reply to
Paul

Thanks for the help Paul, The engine is out and I am in the process of removing the useable components from the 267 and installing them onto the rebuilt 350 that is approx. the same vintage. Would someone happen to know if the flywheel and starter are interchangeable? Thanks again for the help.

George

Reply to
Kwiki