Engine tick

Tire kicking 97 Lumen. Has a slight ticking noise when started but clears when the engine warms. I haven't really inspected this car very closely yet but was wondering what your thoughts are on it's cause and if anyone considers it serious enough to stay far away. Outward appearances clean and neat if that counts for much. Oh, about 187,000 km

Reply to
labatyd

That was supposed to be "Lumina". Spell checkers when you don't need them eh?

Reply to
labatyd

The only car I have owned that did not have a Pontiac emblem on the hood, was a 1997 Olds Cutlass Supreme. This was back around 2005 or so, and the car had the 3100 (which I assume the Lumina you are talking about has...unless it's a Police Package, or something and has the 3800) and around the same KM's on it too. The engine had a very mild "tick-tick-tick" when running. It usually did it all the time, if memory serves. I had my GM dealer mechanic uncle take a look at it, and he found absolutely nothing wrong. In fact, the engine ran so smooth, and got such great gas mileage that I didn't really care. The car was bought off me by a friend, and has over 230,000 on it now. Still running strong. As for the Lumina itself, my Grandparents have a 1997. It's very low mileage (around 70,000km's or so), but its a damned nice car. Rides like a dream, is very big inside, huge trunk, and having the same 3100, is great on gas. Only downfall is the 3100 does 0-60 in around 25 minutes, but if that doesn't concern you, I would definitely keep the Lumina in mind. Make sure to go over it, test drive it, check the fluid's (to make sure the car has been taken care of), etc. though. You never know these days.

Reply to
80 Knight

This isnt unusual at all and may not be serious. There are so many different things that can cause a tick which disappears upon warmup.

You didnt say what engine you have, and that might be important.

Reply to
HLS

Sorry it's the 3.1 liter.

Thanks for the input fellows. I'll do a closer examination this week.

Reply to
labatyd