Factbox: Taxpayers in deep water on GM investment

Taxpayer looting and raping continues for GM's benefit
Factbox: Taxpayers in deep water on GM investment http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6AH5F320101118
Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:44pm EST
(Reuters) - General Motors Co may have the world's biggest initial public offering, but U.S. taxpayers were more than $9 billion underwater on the government-funded restructuring at its current share price on Thursday.
A breakdown of the paper loss follows.
* The U.S. Treasury loaned GM about $49.86 billion from late 2008 through 2009 to restructure the company and finance its move through bankruptcy and beyond.
* Before accounting for the Treasury proceeds from the IPO, GM had repaid about $9.74 billion to the government. Those repayments included unused loans, the purchase of Treasury preferred shares, and dividends and interest. That left taxpayers owed a little more than $40.1 billion.
* Including overallotments, Treasury will recover more than $13.6 billion by selling 412.3 million common shares, leaving taxpayers owed about $26.5 billion. Treasury would need to sell its remaining 500.1 million share-stake at an average price of about $53 for taxpayers to be repaid.
* With GM shares trading at $34.50 Thursday afternoon on the New York Stock Exchange, taxpayers were facing an $18.50 per-share deficit on their remaining stake, or about $9.25 billion.
SOURCES: Treasury public reports, GM SEC filings
--
"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my
friends respect me. The others can do whatever they please."