False lamp warning

Why does the stop lights warning indicator stay on when the brake lights work fine?
95 Park Ave
TIA
Ed

A couple possible causes are parking brake switch, low on brake fluid if it has a switch in the master cylander....

Thanks. I'll check those out.
Ed

I thought the question was about the brake lamp/bulb warning light, not the brake system problem/failure (also e-brake) warning lamp. Are they one in the same on this vehicle?
| > Why does the stop lights warning indicator stay on when the | > brake lights work fine? | > | > 95 Park Ave | > | > TIA | > | > Ed | > | > | |

Probably doesn't apply to your Park Ave -- but my 95 Taurus had the brake light stay on intermittently. One trip it would be on-- but as soon as I turned off the car & restarted it went away.
Then I discovered that the ignition switch wasn't returning fully to the 'run' position. I don't know why the only warning light left on was the brake light-- but now if it's on I just tap the ignition switch & it clears.
Jim