Fan/Clutch Assembly

I am trying to change the water pump on a 99 jimmy with a V6, I took off the bolts holding on the pulley thinking they were for the fan/clutch, but they
werent. so how do I get the fan off? On the shaft there is what looks like a place were I could possibly put a 19mm wrench to turn it, but I'm not sure.
Document ID# 339479 1999 GMC Truck Jimmy - 2WD -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Fan Clutch Replacement
Removal Procedure Tools Required J 41240 Fan Clutch Wrench
Remove the upper fan shroud. Refer to Fan Shroud Replacement
Important In order to maintain a balanced fan assembly, align the yellow paint mark on the fan clutch hub with the yellow paint mark on the water pump hub.
Remove the fan clutch from the coolant pump using J 41240 Install J 41240-1 into the water pump access holes. With J 41240-2 secure on the fan clutch nut, hold J 41240-1 firmly in place while turning J 41240-2 counter-clockwise. Remove the fan and the fan clutch as an assembly.

I talked to autozone tonite and they said that the method I am going to use will work just fine on it.

As Silver Surfer has indicated, some of these can be much easier to remove if the special tool is available. Autozone and similar stores will often have them available for rental or loan.
The fan clutch/fan essentially screws onto the shaft in such a way that rotation tend to keep them tightened.
I have managed to get the Dodge variant off without the use of special tools, but it would have been a lot easier with them. Dont know about the GM variant.

As well - one of the best investments you can make if you're going to wrench on your own vehicle, is a Haynes manual for that vehicle. They cost under $20 at most aftermarket auto supply shops - Auto Zone, Advance Auto, PepBoys, etc. Beats having to post to a usenet forum and wait for a good reply.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net