Fascia Deflector Removed.

After a year of driving the Buick now and having the black deflector scrape on driveways, parking blocks, bulldoze snow and not being able to drive up on auto ramps I decided to remove the black 3 inch wide deflector from the lower portion of the bumper fascia.

harryface

05 Park Avenue 38,565 91 Bonneville 307,100
Reply to
Harry Face

I had thought that they were on there to move some cooling air around.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote in news:14755-4480B704-71 @storefull-3312.bay.webtv.net:

uhhh, congradulations!.............kjun. a recovering republican

Reply to
KjunRaven

Harry,

Don' t throw it out - you may well soon need to reinstall it. That deflector is a part of the cooling system. Keep a close watch on the temp gauge, especially at freeway speeds.

On my old '87 Olds 98 (older version of the same basic body as your PA) I damaged that deflector and part of it got torn off. No problem in stop and go traffic, but the car started to overheat whenever I drove the car over 45 MPH. Evidently the absence of that air deflector messed up the airflow through the radiator.

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote:

Reply to
William H. Bowen

Yeahbut, how will you know about the changes in grade now?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

William,

I'll keep an eye on the temp gauge. There is also a large plastic pan under the radiator support up to the front frame cross member, my previous car didn't have that. It seems like its keeping air flow out and more heat in the engine compartment.

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

Harry,

On my Olds that pan was metal: cut myself a few times getting it off to do work under the car. That pan is more of a rock and debris shield for the A/C compressor and such.

The idea with that air dam is to control air flow so you don't develop a high pressure area behind the radiator that inhibits air flow through the radiator. That is why it dosn't affect cooling at low speed but at higher speeds.

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

P,S. Also, poor air flow through the radiator area will reduce the effeciency of the A/C system (same air flow through the condenser which is in front of the radiator).