Fiero shift cables

I am trying to help my bro fix a 87 fiero GT. The shift cables are shot. There are some on ebay now. My question is, are the GT shift cables the same as the straight 2m6 cables?
Are the trannies different between the GT and the regular 6 cylinder model?
Bob
-

Just depends on which transmission you have. There are a couple of possibilities.
Go to the vehicle and write down all the 'Mxx' RPO codes, located on a sticker in the front compartment LH fender well.
Post them here and your question will be answered. ;)
Steve
Steve Mackie wrote:

Ok, the answer is fairly simple, but somewhat expensive.
There were only two manual transmissions offered with the Fiero V6 cars, the Muncie-designed and built 4 speed or the Getrag-designed and Muncie-built 5 speed. The 4 speed, referred to as the "Muncie" in the Fiero world, was offered through the latter part of '86 production year, and starting with the last few hundred of the '86 production cars the 5 speed (referred to as the "Getrag" in the Fiero world) was phased in. No '86 or later V6 Fiero came with the 4 speed, though it's possible that someone swapped one in after the fact. The Getrags were fairly rare in Fieros so the cables are getting hard to find and moderately expensive. The Muncie and Getrag cables are not interchangeable at all, sadly.
The Fiero Store may carry replacements, and it wouldn't hurt to check Rodney Dickman's site at http://www.rodneydickman.com too.
There's a mall section in the forum at http://www.fiero.nl it probably wouldn't hurt to check there also.
JazzMan
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
That should read "no '87 or later came with the 4spd".
JazzMan