Firebird rear end to Cutlass swap

Can anyone tell me if the posi from a 1971 Pontiac Firebird will fit under a 1972 Cutlass?? I am having a hard tiome finding info on this.....I would
not think it to be this hard unless I am missing something (probably am!)
Thanks
Eightupman
Eightupman wrote:

Have you checked with a junkyard? Most have Hollanders.
not yet...just lazy sitting here on the PC and the thought popped into mind. After a good while surfing the net trying to find out, I just thought I'd ask here....
" Paul " <"=?x-user-defined?Q??= Paul

Sometimes www.car-part.com can be helpful.
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 02:47:32 GMT, "Eightupman"

I am using Chevy specs. because that's the info I have but they are pretty much the same cars.
71' Camaro rear flange to flange is 55-1/4" for the 10 bolt rear. It looks like it's the same measurement for the Chevelle also. It also says in my book that the 70'-72' A-body 10 bolt was a 8.2" and of course the Camaro came with the 8.5" differential.
Reading the words instead of just the illustrations says that the rears are the same width. So it's just a matter of transfering your brake gear and mounting perches from the Cutlass over to the Camaro rear.
Actually it is from the Firebird to the Cutlass, if things line up properly.
Thanks for the info.
Eightupman

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 02:29:17 GMT, "Eightupman"

It doesn't really matter since both the Camaro and the Firebird are F-bodies and the Chevelle and Cutlass are A-bodies. The only differences in the underpinnings that I can remember would be the tranny to engine bolt pattern and that some 12 bolt rears in BOP A-bodies were actually 10 bolts.
As long as the flange to flange measurements are relatively close, removing the leaf spring perches and welding on the coil spring perches and mounts should be the only difficulty. Everything else will bolt back into place. GM was good about using many of the same parts for different vehicles, cheaper in the long run you know.
snipped-for-privacy@newemail.com says...

A-body cars are coil sprung. completely different mountings.
--
Bruce
Westminster, Md