Firmware update for CD player?

I have a 99 Buick Regal LS with the Monsoon audio system and cd player. I noticed that it won't read a few CD-R's notably my TDK 48X CD-R's.

It does read some CD-R's though. I was wondering (longshot) if there's anyway to upgrade the firmware of the CD player so it reads and recognizes more CD-R formats and brands?

Thank you for any comments.

Reply to
Michael Sovitzky

studies show that the error rate on CDRs varies quite a bit. Not sure about TDKs, but Sony was poor. Among the best was Fuji.

Reply to
Baboo

No such thing as firmware upgrades for the CD players as far as I know. Some CD players are just picky about the discs that they will play.

In particular, some of them tend to like discs with cyanine dye (made by Taiyo Yuden, like Fujifilm discs, at least until recently), or azo dye (Verbatim DataLifePlus) better than most other discs which use a pthalocyanine dye. You can tell them apart because cyanine and azo discs are a dark blue/green on the bottom and pthalocyanine discs are a very pale green.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

its ussually a problem with the laser pickup device, CD-R's and RW's expecially look "different" then a normal CD to some older readers.

Reply to
Paradox

Had the same question about mine. I was told it has more to do with the laser thingy that does the reading than anything else.

Reply to
D F Bonnett

Make sure you use disc at once method to record the disc and close the session. I find that makes a difference in my Buick.

Reply to
Car Guy