First Trip In Your First Car.

What was the first trip ( vacation ) you took in your first car?
Mine was in June 1981 in a 1973 Impala 4 door sedan.
Me & 2 strokes from high school planned on going down to SIx Flags Over
Mid - America in Eureka Missouri. We were going to leave at 4 am Saturday morning to avoid staying over two nights. Friday at 11:30 pm the night before I stopped by one of the guys house after I gassed the car up. I found out his mammie said he couldn't go to St Louis. Oh Great !
I stopped by the other guys house and found out his mammie also said " No " to going to St Louis........nothing like letting a guy know that you can't go.
So I went by myself. I stayed at the Diamonds Inn off I - 44 just west of Eureka. The hotel was still there about 3 years ago when I drove down to Branson.
Anyway, there was a McDonalds down there I stopped at on Saturday night on the way back to the motel. On the drive down the end cap on my muffler blew out, so the car sounded like a hot rod. This McDonalds parking lot was loaded with all these old cars all souped up people walking around checking out the cars, then I roll in.
The driveway to the restaurant was rather steep & you had to give it the gas a little to get up the steep grade and when I hit that driveway and give it the gas everybody for a moment turned to look at what was coming in next. It was kinda funny then because at that time my car had stripes all over it. Under the lower body crease it had those white 6 inch wide stripes that was like 6 multiple thickness of stripes made to look like one.
One ran down the bottom on the car bumper to bumper, and two run down the center of the hood & trunklid ( 12 " width ). Pin strioes on the high body crease and edgeline. Add to that the yellow flood lights in the parking lot, the loud, a shiny black car with whites stripes really glowed and for a brief momemt all eyes were on me.
It was so embarrassing ! I ended up going throught the drive up window rather than go in the restaurant.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~276,845 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Harry Face wrote:

I never really went for a vacation in my first car, but I would have to say I've had a few experiences with that car.
1) First day going out of the city, seeing the outlaws. Got out of the car to get some ice cream, didn't know why the car was chiming. Left the lights on. Got back into the car, found out that the engine was well into the hot area. I crossed my fingers, didn't tell the wife anything, and went back to driving. The way home, I got real lucky and drove home much cooler in the rain :)
2) Stopping at a red light, I looked beside me, right into the eyes of a driver of a 91 Trans Am. I shrugged, put out the clutch, and revved the engine. Buddy laughed. I just waited for the light to turn, and when it did, I smoked him. Next light, he didn't laugh. When it changed, he actually tried. I still smoked him. Third light, he was pissed. I still smoked him there, because he spun his wheels too much.
3) Snow storm, with plenty of blowing and drifting snow. I didn't realize that what looked like a slight covering on the road up ahead was actually a 10 inch drift :( And without snow tires. I've never had to dig myself out of a snow bank again, thank God :)
And what was the car, you may be asking? Believe it or not, a 1987 Chevy Sprint, 1 Litre engine (yeah, 3 banger) with a 5 speed manual tranny.
Vuarra
Didn't take a trip in her but my first car was a 71 Plymouth Sattelite. An old cop car on top of that. Got it for $400 at an auction. All the girls called it the "Green Machine".
I installed an old radio/cassette player complete with the speakers from my Moms old home stereo. The radio part didn't work so I taped a radio station and would play that tape over and over and over. I still have most of the tape memorized complete with commecrials, weather reports and news. One day a buddy got so tired of hearing the same songs that he could take no more. At a stop light, he ripped out the tape, gets out the car, tossed the tape on the ground and stomped it into little pieces. He calmly got back in the car and said, "the light's green".
Oneday, I was giving 3 of my female co-workers a ride home from Burger King and thought I was the stuff. Had a fresh Earth Wind tape and had put some kind of glaze on the old green machine so she was shiney as a new gold dollar. The one riding in the front went to light a cigarette but the cars lighter didn't work. I used that 12V for the radio and lights under the seats. Good news, I kept a Bic above my visor and went into gentleman action. I flicked my Bic and while holding the lite for her ran into the back of a parked car. She said, "thanks for the light but I think we can walk from here". She and the other girls got out, laughed and started walking. The teasing I got at school for that.
Girls = left Car = totaled Green Machine memories = priceless
The first trip I took with my own car was to Hapton Beach NH, about 6 hours from where I live. I had a 1987 Cavalier Z24, pretty much a rare model. It was fun, 2.8 MPFI 5 speed. We were 6 cars following eachother all doing about 100 MP/H, so my digital cluster played 98,99,100,101,100,99,100,99,98, etc...
Dan 90 Pontiac Grand-Am SE Quad 4 HO 5 spd 89 Chevy Corvette 5.7 TPI Blk on Blk

Harry Face wrote:

I never took a vacation in my first car. Actually, I've never taken a vacation in any of my cars because I don't trust them.

I guess you buy Chryslers then? :)
Rick

No comments.

that was gifted to me from a distant relative in 1966. The car probably never exceeded 30MPH in its lifetime prior to my getting it, since said relative was a railway executive who hated highway driving, and just shipped the car by train whenever he had to go anywhere that he'd need wheels. In any case, for Xmas of '66, it was decided that my family would spend the holidays at my Aunt's in Minneapolis. My Mom went ahead with my Grandfather around the 20th, and then when school was out, my sister & I left in the '55. Not too long after hitting highway speeds out of Winnipeg, the Chrysler started bucking and lurching. Since it was about -30 F that day, I suspected carburetor icing, but a check of the air cleaner said no. Bad gas maybe? Excess carbon blowing out? Who knew? Anyway, I was 17 - that age when you're both immortal AND know everything - and had places to go, people to see! Nevermind that it's 30 below, and there's no survival gear of any sort in the car, onward Windsor!!
Long story short, managed to limp our way to Staples, MN which is about 130 miles from Minneapolis, and was just big enough to have a repair shop on the main drag. Left the car there, phoned the family in Mpls to come & rescue the 2 hapless teens, and my Aunt came for us in her '64 Olds 98 (Diplomat Blue). Niiiice car, as I recall. When Xmas is done, we all pile into Grampa's '62 Chrysler to pick up my '55 in Staples, supposedly fixed by now. Sure enough, start it up, and it purrs like a kitten. Turns out it had several broken valve springs (forget the exact number), but more than 3 and less than 10. So off we go back to Winnipeg, with me in the lead & Gramps behind, and damned if the '55 doesn't start bucking & lurching again! Same old crap - more valve springs breaking. Fortunately, Gramps had a tow-rope in his trunk, so we hooked our cars together and tandem'd the next 300+ miles, with Gramps in the lead, of course. (My car would at least idle somewhat OK, so I had heat, radio and power brakes on the way home.) But talk about your white-knuckle driving experiences!
Needless to say, my first and last Chrysler product. (There were other problems with the car - blown frost plug, kaffed distributor). Way too much shit for an eleven-year-old car with low mileage, and never abused. Heh, maybe it _should_ have been abused - perhaps the springs needed some flexercise.

<snip>
LOL!! Thanks for that!
Thankfully I've never owned a Chrysler product (seen plenty of heartache of friends who have, though), and I don't intend to!
Rick

I can say the same, but the other way around! And yes, I have a GM and a Chrysler.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm a total GM guy (for now, time will tell) and my next door neighbor is a total Ford guy. It struck me one night as odd that there we both were completely happy with cars that the other one would never buy.
The world can be a bit strange sometimes.
Rick

I also have a Nissan story. Every time I backslide, and stray from the GM flock, I tell my closest friends to beat me with large sticks if I ever buy anything that GM didn't make, lol.
Not the first trip, but a trip I'll always remember;
Philadelphia to California in 1960
I had a '56 CHrysler.
The Interstate system was a few years away.
Phila to western Pa. on the Penna. turnpike. Then, US 40 ( memory's getting rusty ) US 40.... lot of 2-lane and 3-lane roads. ... diners, bars, roadside cabins, tourist havens. They routed you through "downtown" of every city and burg. Wheeling, Columbus, Indianapolis.... Roadsigns were confusing. Picked up US old US 66 in St. Louis. I can still rmember paying $6.50 for a motel room in Oklahoma. Phillips 66 Gas Stations. ( free maps, attendant pumped the gas ) Snowstorm in Flagstaff Then, like the NatKingCole song; Kingsman, Barstow, San Bernadino.... It took near ten days to make the trip. No MacDonalds, no "chain" eaterys. A 400 mile day was a good one.
Interstate travel seems a bit sterile by comparison....
<rj>
<snip>

Thanks for that as well! And I agree, but it does have some nice conveniences.
Rick
<RJ> wrote in alt.autos.gm

snip trip involving back road driving.

When I was growing up in the 50's we used to take a family vacation every summer. We lived about a hundred miles north of Seattle at the time. So if we were going to go camping on the Oregon coast we would leave at 6:00 am, eat breakfast about 8 in Seattle, following Highway 99 all the way, have lunch in a bit south and west of Olympia, then take a ferry across the Columbia at Astoria, and spend the night in Seaside. The next day we would make the drive to Newport. Today you can make Astoria from Seattle in half a day, and following the coast down, gets you into Newport in late afternoon. I also remember spending most of the day driving to Spokane, about 300 miles from Seattle. I have made the round trip in one day 3 times in the past couple of years. But it is absolutely boring. Driving the back roads is slow, but is always interesting.
--
Dick #1349
Damn it . . . Don't you dare ask God to help me.