for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

Page 2 of 4

On a carbureted engine with a choke it IS a function of t emperature. If the engine (I think all 454 Pontiacs were carbureted, by the way) is never warmed up the choke never comes off and fuel dilution of the oil is a VERY REAL possibility.

Actually, synthetic oils, in general, DO tend to be more hygroscopic, and provide less corrosion protection (marginally)
As for the synthetic flowing better when cold - most definitely - but is that an advantage in Miami or SanDiego?
It is only an advantage if you NEED that cold flow advantage.
In Miami or San Diago the fact that it thins less with heat and is generally more resistant to oxidation is more important.
On 04/03/2010 05:53 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

cringe.
so it's still advantageous!
besides, most engine wear occurs during warm-up. if a synthetic can protect during this phase, and it can, then it's protecting the engine more than a conventional oil.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

More items you parrot as if your having said it makes it true.
On 04/04/2010 05:55 AM, hls wrote:

as opposed to pissing and moaning about something you don't understand you mean?
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Yes, but in the vast areas of North america where much below freezing and much over 80F are rare, there is VERY little advantage. - and just using a slightly heavier gerade oil for the warm temperatures does virtually the same thing.

Except synthetic oils also tend (note, I said TEND - not necessarilly always do) to drain down leaving less of a "static" oil film, they NEED to get there quicker.
In real life, under "normal" conditions, there is almost un-measurable difference in wear between standard dyno and normal synthetic lubs.
On 04/04/2010 09:35 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

but it's still advantageous. you may not regard longer life, better fuel economy, lower wear as advantageous, but most people do.

sorry, that's incorrect. the adsorbed lubricant layer for a pao is more tenacious. that's one of the reasons it's a better lubricant.

wear product content of 2ppm vs 4ppm is small and "almost un-measurable", but it's 100% difference.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

As it approaches the limits of measurability, 100% difference may not be mathematically significant.
On 04/04/2010 10:04 AM, hls wrote:

does that excuse work with taxes?
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

jim beam wrote:

I have no horse in this race, but to answer your question about taxes - yes - you can round to the nearest dollar (in spite of the fact that you could carry everything to pennies). You picked a poor example to support your case.
--
Bill Putney
On 04/04/2010 10:17 AM, Bill Putney wrote:

so if i owe a few $k, that's insignificant compared to the national budget, and i can "round down", right?
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

jim beam wrote:

No, but if you owe either $0.24 or $0.48 (100% difference), you can.
--
Bill Putney
On 04/04/10 13:23, jim beam wrote:

No, there are rules for rounding. *Estimates*, however, are a very different matter altogether! :)

In fact, 500% difference may be totally inconsequential.
On 04/04/2010 03:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

yeah. my civic with 20k mile oil change intervals is 500% broken.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

That is assuming you actually GET those advantages.

But not all synthetic oils are PAO

Or a 50% reduction, to be accurate.
On 04/04/2010 03:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

if you're using them, how can you /not/ get them???

right. the majority sold here are in fact group III's. the next biggest seller is group IV, pao's. ester-based motor oils are a tiny minority.

increasing from 2ppm to 4ppm is 100%. to be accurate.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Now.... a lot is going to depend on what you call cold... -40 is a God-given fact for several days a year where I live... it's gonna happen, drop your purse and hold you jacket closed, pansy...
I run dino oil... I cannot justify the expense of synthetics and most of you guys can't tell the difference between cracked synthetics and PAO synthetics anyway.
Don't get me wrong.. run synthetic if you want... I put it in a customers engine every time they ask. But I'm going to have a real hard time recommending it to people that don't need it...

On 04/03/2010 09:19 PM, Jim Warman wrote:

<top posting fixed>
> Now.... a lot is going to depend on what you call cold... -40 is a God-given > fact for several days a year where I live... it's gonna happen, drop your > purse and hold you jacket closed, pansy... > > I run dino oil... I cannot justify the expense of synthetics and most of you > guys can't tell the difference between cracked synthetics and PAO synthetics > anyway. > > Don't get me wrong.. run synthetic if you want... I put it in a customers > engine every time they ask. But I'm going to have a real hard time > recommending it to people that don't need it... > >
if you change your oil every 3k miles...
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 04/04/10 00:19, Jim Warman wrote:

FEH! Practically any weather around here is fine if one is dressed for it.
On 4/1/10 9:31 AM, in article hp2amp$cn1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org, "C.

Did you read the stuff you just posted (bolow)? It says 3750 (severe) and 7500 (normal).