for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

Page 3 of 4

Yes I did. I understood that the two mileage requirements were 3750 (Severe) & 7500 (Normal). What I was commenting on was the line that said - "Their definition of normal also pretty much leaves out everybody."
While Nissan tends to push owners toward the "severe" schedule more than than other companies, I was trying to make the point that the regular schedule does not leave everybody out. I should have been more explicit in what I was discussing. To be clear, I think most Nissan drivers can use the regualr schedule. Honestly, why would anyone call a schedule "Normal" and then claim it wasn't? If they meant for the 7500 mile schedule to apply to only a few owners, they should have called it "light duty" or "unstressed" but certianly not "normal." I think Nissan was trying to both claim extended maintenance (competitive advantage for selling cars) and encourage people to go to their dealer more often (aftermarket profit motive). Nissan explicitly said you didn't need to use the "Premium Service" to maintain your warranty.
Ed
C. E. White wrote:

I've read more than one account on Chrysler LH car flrums where it was claimed that Chrysler refused to cover a 2.7L engine failure when the customer had receipts showing the oil was changed at the dealer on the Schedule A. Reason for turning the claim down: There is no such thing in the real world as Schedule A service. Everything is Schedule B. Claim denied. I can't swear that the posters were telling the truth, but that's what was claimed.
--
Bill Putney
On 4/1/10 3:54 PM, in article hp314u$cr8$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org, "C.

I ignore the "premium" category as mostly fluff that probably serves the purpose you suggest (dealer profit), but they have changed the names of the other two in the "Service and Maintenance Guide" for '08 & '09. Now there is "Premium Schedule", Schedule 1 and Schedule 2. It still says you don't have to follow the Premium schedule to maintain the warranty, but Schedule 2 (what used to be called "Normal") has this disclaimer: "Generally, Schedule 2 applies only to highway driving in temperate conditions."

And you ignore that advice at your peril on an Altima or Maxima.
Quite a few in the scrap-yard around here with mint bodies because the cost of needed engine repairs equals or excedes the resale value of the car in running condition.
On 4/2/10 10:44 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

From the (G37) maintenance schedule: "Infiniti developed Premium Maintenance for owners who want the ultimate in preventative maintenance." What they call Schedule ! Is the "severe" schedule with 3750 miles oil changes and checks. There is no peril in not following the "premium" schedule on an Altima or Maxima (unless having that extra cash in your wallet constitutes peril).
E. Meyer wrote:

Sarcasm,right? :)
--
Bill Putney

Aimed at the same people who have always used "premium" fuel, simply because "it's premium". Also, "if it costs more, it MUST be better."
There are those here and elsewhere who would tell you, "if you can't afford the service, then you can't afford the car." They use that to defend a Lexus ES350 oil change costing $150 compared to the $30 oil change on the same engine over at the Toyota dealer.
Those people are defending their burning need to BELIEVE.
And Infiniti has chosen, brilliantly, to cater to people who WANT cash to leave their pockets. That cash is GOING to leave their pockets no matter what; Infiniti figured it might as well go into Infiniti's coffers as to Starbucks for a $5.00 cup of coffee.

Last December I bought a new car, trading my 3 year old with 67000 trouble free miles. I do believe in proper maintenance but I'm not going to follow the dealer's recommendations. When I bought the car they gave me a service "menu" with the miles, work to be performed, and cost. Following their schedule I'd have spent an additional $2200 in that three years. As for trade in value, they never looked at the car so it was not something that had payback in resale.
On 04/02/2010 04:12 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

amen, brother.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

"jim beam" wrote:
<the usual troll of snide comments on creative writings of others>
<the signoff motto: nomina rutrum rutrum> ____________________________________________________________________
Using a Latin signoff motto has become a fad because it gives a writer an air of learning. Lucy Kellaway, a columnist for Financial Times, experimented with converting modern expressions to Latin. One of her samples was the expression, ''call a spade a spade''. The translation came back: ''nomina rutrum rutrum''.
Some who see the world in black and white have copied and adopted this Latinized signoff as their own. Whenever you see someone using this expression to suggest an air of learning, remember that it was conceived as a joke, and that its true translation is: ''call a shovel a shovel''.
Rodan. ______________________________________________________________

So what's call a shit-fork a shit-fork??
On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 10:31:17 -0400, "C. E. White"

Not entirely true. The moisture and contaminants in the oil from the short trip driving deteriorate the additives in the oil - and "drying it out" once a week does not TOTALLY eliminate that damage.

Yes it is.

The oil change requirements stated in the US are the minimum required change frequency for the oil available in America to get the car through warranty most of the time.
Cross posting left in because I'm a dork....
A look at the oil change intervals for the new Fords coming down the assembly line will be an eye opener...
FWIW, the lubricants "available" in America are likely amongst the best in the world... low ash content for diesel applications and various other requirements placed on engine oil (and other lubes) by the applications they are designed for... If one is to be concerned about "quality" in any areas - I don't think it would be with packaged lubes but with bulk fuels.... packaged lubes that bear appropriate ratings, at least (will SpamsOil ever get an API rating?).
Back to lube intervals... Many of the new and current Ford offerings have the IOLM (intelligent oil life monitor) system. Here http://tinyurl.com/yek4bot is a cut and paste of a message we got from the mothership (missing is the page that indicates which model/engine combos have what system). Notice that SOME oil change intervals can go as long as 1 year or 10,000 miles (16,000 kms).
There's some pretty neat stuff hitting the streets these days... including the dual plug 6.2 Ford and the "reverse flow" 6.7 diesel...
I totally forgot "the flip side of the coin".... An abandoned 2006 Fusion... left on our doorstep like a baby in a basket.... 100,000 kms or so on the ticker and only two oil changes to it's history. The amount of sludge under that valve covers is still a topic of conversation around the shop...
The longer we extend the service interval, the more important it becomes to observe it...
Jim Warman wrote:

And the more important it is to check behind whoever you pay to do them to make sure they actually do them. I've personally seen too many examples of where that was the case. Imagine being on a 5000 mile change interval and two changes are faked.
--
Bill Putney
You have joggle my old farts memory.... we get a lot of 6.0 and 6.4 diesel engines through our shop (no surprise since we ARE a Ford dealer) that have had aftermarket oil filters installed. Jiffy Lube will happily dispose of your old filter cap since the aftermarket filter comes with it's own (ill fitting, leaking) cap.

And /or the "bulk" oil used is inferior. Or the oil is changed and the filter is just given a "rag job"
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Evidence that bulk oil is inferior, if it is the same brand and grade.
Jeff

That's the rub. It comes out of a tank. Neither you, nor the service station who uses it, KNOWS for sure what brand the oil REALLY is - except for the lube shops that are owned by a particular oil company. And then you don't know for sure what line of oil they are actually using. Every oil company has their "economy grade" and their "premium" at the very least.
I know for a FACT that sometimes when you order (as a garage) a certain brand of premium multigrade oil from a distributor you do NOT get either that brand or their premium oil.
When you use packaged oil you KNOW what you are getting.
I'm NOT saying that bulk oil is in any way necessarily inferior - I used to use bulk oil a LOT in my service station and dealership days. I generally bought only directly from the oil company - when at the service station from the oil company that owned the fuel tanks - Texaco , Shell ,, Esso, etc, and at the dealerships from the single line distributor for either Castrol, Quaker State, Kendall, etc or the oil companies listed above.
When the dealership started buying from a large industrial lubricant company that distributed Quaker State, Valvoline, Castrol, and several other lines we never knew for sure what was in the tank. Can you say "brand of the week"?
The only way to know what oil you were REALLY getting was to order Kendall GT-1 - none of the "competitors'" oils were that distinctive BLUE colour!!!!
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well, at least you think you do. Further, when you get expensive oil out of a bottle, who knows if that is really what you're buying, partilcularly at a place where you're not the one opening the bottle.