for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

Page 4 of 4
FWIW, many oil processors "trade" refinery capacity. Here in Alberta, Esso Petroleum Canada processes lube oils for Husky Oil Marketing. As long as a
motor oil bears an API rating......

At our company's fleet garage, we bought "bulk" oil, but it came packaged in 55 gallon drums. It was never delivered in a tank truck and pumped into an open bulk tank.
This level of "bulk" was substantially cheaper than buying bottled oil, and the risk of contamination was less.

distributor, but then they decided they didn't want to handle barrels anymore at they put in bulk tanks with metered pumps - made it a lot wasier than pumping from a barrel into a pouring can - no more funnels required - and less, not more, possibility of contamination because there were no extra containers or stages of handling involved.
The only problem is you NEVER really knew what you were getting. They handled Valvoline, Castrol, Quaker State, and at least 2 other brands - all of which made good oils - and also cheap oils. Which grade were we getting this month? from which company?.

The article linked above is also a helpful read. I noticed the part that says "Depending on driving conditions, we expect oil change intervals could be approximately:
Up to 10,000 miles Normal commuting with highway driving 5000 to 7500 miles Trailer tow/high load driving 3000 to 5000 miles Short trip usage, extreme cold or hot temperature"
The fact that two very different different car manufacturers (Honda and Ford) are saying a 10k mile interval is fine for many speaks volumes, IMO.
On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 08:44:57 -0700 (PDT), Elle

appropriate for short trips, extreme cold, oe extreme heat.
On 04/02/2010 02:17 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

with conventional oil....
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

America.
And with short trips in cold weather a synthetic oil does not buy you much in extended oil life. SOME, yes. But not a lot. In high temperature (extreme heat) synthetic DOES buy you a fair return in extended oil life.
On 04/03/2010 05:58 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

90% have extreme conditions?

in cold weather, synthetics will buy you extended engine life - they protect against start-up wear better.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

More testimonial. Where is your unassailable data?
On 04/04/2010 06:01 AM, hls wrote:

well, i didn't get it from any contribution you've made - that's for sure!
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

No - learn to read I said 90% +/- use conventional oil

OIL LIFE.
There IS a difference.
On 04/04/2010 09:30 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

sorry dude, you weren't clear.

i know there's a difference. engine life and oil life go hand in hand. and synthetics outperform conventional oils, cold or hot. end of story.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

"End of story" is a good epitaph for this rather useless thread. This subject has been argued on this and other newsgroups for years.
You take the point that some are foolish because they dont subscribe to your ideas about lubricants, maintenance intervals, etc.
You havent proved any points. You just keep talking, saying the same old things, never with an iota of data.
It is boring.
Thread exited.
On 04/04/2010 10:16 AM, hls wrote:

...without you contributing a damned thing! buh-bye!
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

How much clearer can you get than inline response to "with conventional oil"????? Sheesh!!!

On 04/04/2010 03:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

relax. i'm just saying that in the context of the underinformed thinking that "most" [90%???] drivers are operating in "extreme conditions", as quoted above, you should have been specific.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum