For the Volt, How?s Life After 40 ( Miles)? [NY Times]

Page 2 of 2

fuel is largely coal.
On 24/11/2009 2:36 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

Nobody wants a nuke in their back yard, mind you 50 or 90 cents a KWH might change some heads. Probably costs more in legal and BS to build a nuke than the plant itself.
But I agree, nules using Thorium, much safe and less costly than uranium. But government loves high gas costs, more taxes.
Vic Smith wrote:

Might be a lot more. $3000 for a set of batteries, installation extra pays for 600 gallons of extra fuel. Or about 25 full fillups for my F150.
With the Volt, you also increase your electric bill. Not sure how that will translate. But it has a cost. As are batteries needing replacign ever 2-3 years.
When you factor in the capital costs, electric costs, repair costs and usablity, you are not buying a Volt to save money. Better off with a diesel Jetta or Honda Civic without the batteries.

I dont think the batteries have to be changed that often. With the protocol they developed, the batteries last much longer than normal. But I think the 40 mile range is ridiculous for most of us.
hls wrote:

Hard to tell. All batteries have a finite charge/discharge cycle rate before they deteriorate. And loose the ability to hold a charge over time and use. While new, it might go 40 miles, but in 3 years, hardly likely. Maybe 5 or 10. I would want that deterioration spelled out in contract for warrantee purposes.
Laptop batteries have a similar drain-recharge cycle to cars. Generally they last about 1 or 2 years, starting out they work for 3 hours, then 2 hours, then 1 hour then 15 minutes. Lead-acid is worse, they only last 5-8 years because of the low discharge rate they usually get.
And no batteries chage well in cold weather. And fair really poorly if used for heat. Be interesting to see how the Volt behaves in Idaho, Montana or Minnisota...probaly liek the Smart car, it hibernates.
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 07:07:41 -0700, Canuck57 fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

Funny thing is - I believe the diesel civic has (or had) a GM-built Circle L engine.
(That's how I got a Honda engine in my wife's Saturn Vue.)
--
perfectreign
www.perfectreign.com || www.ecmplace.com
PerfectReign wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_L_engine
Designed by Izusu. Made in Europe. Aquired by GM because they needed an engine they couldn't make.
Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling LOL

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 18:48:20 -0700, Canuck57 fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

Um, GM and Izuzu have been making engines forever. IIRC, GM owns Izusu.
(That's how they got Joe Izusu to do those ads!)
They also supply Honda with the Passport and Acrua SLX.
They also sell (or sold) a rebadged GM-built pickup, the Colorado.
Your point?
--
perfectreign
www.perfectreign.com || www.ecmplace.com
Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling LOL

Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling LOL

On 24/11/2009 2:16 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

Lets do some economics here.
Volt, $40,000. Needs a $4000 (or more) battery every 3 years, just like cell phones and laptops. TCO and maintained, $43,000 in 3 years. Residual value is probably $5,000.
F150 - V8 with full power A/C and heat, can haul boats, loaded with leather, $30,000.
$10,000 of fuel at $6 gallon and 20mpg is about 33,000 miles of fuel. But wait, Volt needs to tap onto your utility bill. With right of way fees, taxes and crap, most pay 20 kwh. How much does that equate to? Plus it needs gas.... F150 residual value in 3 years is guaranteed to be more than the Volt.
Volt is a very high risk purchase.
If you want green and economy, get a Tata Nano. Write Obama and ask him why you have to not only pay taxes for GM, but pay ten times the price to be green both at the pump and your pocket. And for $3700 the Nano even has A/C.
GM is playing Americians for suckers.
Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling LOL