Freon low, how to bypass pressure switch so I can add freon?

1998 Olds Intrigue, low on freon. The pressure switch has the compressor turned off. How do I bypass it so the compressor will run and I can add freon?
Reply to
Jim March

A 98 Olds Intrigue wouldn't use "Freon."

Probably for a very good reason.

The compressor doesn't need to be running in order to add "Freon."

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Reply to
Jim March

I doubt there's anything.

Well good. from the sounds of things initially, you were about to add the wrong refrigerant.

Engaging the compressor will not "pull" more refrigerant into the system.

Yes I do. It is done by making the pressure inside the vessel of refrigerant higher than the static pressure in the vehicles AC system. If the static pressure is not high enough to close the low side switch, there isn't yet enough refrigerant in the system to carry the necessary lubricant to avoid a compressor failure. (you do know that the refrigerant carries the lubricant, don't you?)

To raise the pressure inside your charging vessel (jug or can) you need to heat it up. Hot water usually will suffice. It will be a little slow, and you'll no doubt need to make numerous trips to replenish the hot water to accomplish what you need, but thems the breaks when you don't have the correct equipment.

Say "thank you Neil" because I just saved you from screwing up your brand new compressor.

Sorry if this sounds a little terse, but these systems are so damn fragile that if you don't follow proper procedures, they tend to be very short lived.

Oh yeah... I hope you used the correct oil in the correct amounts and distributed it into the correct components in the proper proportions, unlike another poster in a different group.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Ok. So, I guess I could just plug in my charging cylinder to push the

134a in then. About the oil, I added 8 oz to the compressor and 2 to the orfice.

Any more advice before I say "thank you Neil"?

Reply to
Jim March

But, I am curious, if I wanted to charge the system using gas instead of liquid, how would you do that without the compressor running?

Reply to
Jim March

Reply to
Mike & Chris

Reply to
Jim March

In all seriousness, this is a dangerous task. You could be injured or killed. I am reluctant to provide information that could injure or kill you if used incorrectly. By bypassing the switch, it is possible to put so much pressure on the refrigerant cylinder that it bursts.

I become increasingly suspicious that you don't really understand the workings of the system and should have it serviced by someone who is more familiar with a/c systems and how they work.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Jim, I agree with this answer. I am also wondering how you added 2oz of oil, PAG oil I trust, to the orfice tube? It should have been added into the accumulator. Do you know for sure that the total oil capacity is 10oz? Are you using a gauge/manifold set to do this refridgerant charge?

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

Reply to
Jim March

The total oil capacity for the entire system is 8 ounces.

8 ounces inside the compressor is an awful lot...

I'd have put 2 ounces in the compressor, 2 ounces in the evaporator, 2 ounces in the condenser and 2 ounces in the accumulator.

At this point, you should attempt hand turning the compressor to make certain that it's not hydraulically locked before you apply power to the clutch.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

With the can stood upright, gas will be discharged, invert the can (tapper down) and liquid will be discharged. If recharging via a 30lb jug, it's vice versa.

In the inverted state, if ambient temperatures are high enough, by the time the refrigerant reaches the low side service port, it'll probably already have changed to gas.

When refilling the system via the low side service port, you DO want the refrigerant to be in a gaseous state. The low side of the system is the inlet to the compressor and compressors of this type do not tend to handle the intake of liquids very well.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Amen!

An asshole with a can of refrigerant in his or her hand, may very well soon become a dismembered and dead asshole, with an exploded can of refrigerant in their missing hand!

Heat the can, to raise the temperature of the gas in the can, in a can of hot water from the tap, and you'd be surprised how fast it goes in the high side. With the engine off!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Reply to