Front Crank Seal on 3.4L Impala?

Is this replaceable without dropping the engine cradle, wife's Impala seemns to be leaking a lot of oil from there.

seemns
Appears so.

Eugene, I have always tried to avoid a 'rigged' repair; however, if you check w/GM technicians, you may find an easy fix similar to one GM recommended a # of years back on 4wd's leaking differential grease. The bulletins, IIRC, said to drain, wipe, wipe, & wipe some more to clean and dry the seam where the gasket mated the 2 metal parts. Then, using a caulking gun, apply a 'special' sealer into the seam and onto the 2 mating pieces. Then, use one finger to evenly spread the sealer. Then, let it dry completely, like overnight(?). Then re-fill with proper lube. Sounded make-shift then and maybe even worse now; nonetheless, it stopped the leak completely. And it would last until, of course, someone parted the 2 metal pieces. Solution then, when reassembling, was to use the same technique as before--no improved gaskets or seals on this job! HTH & good luck, s
sdlomi2 wrote:

I guess the main question is can I just take off the crank pulley which looks accessable if I take the wheel off and a plastic cover then just pop the seal out or do I need to drop the oil pan or do I need to pull the timing chain cover? I replaced that seal on the old Iron duke 2.5 but had the timing cover off already but if I can pull the old and put in a new onw without pulling the timing cover then it won't be too bad. I think thats where its leaking from, I need to clean good so I can see exactly where its leaking.
Eugene Nine wrote:

What year is the Impala? It probably doesn't matter as the 3.4 v-6 requires a special tool to install the seal. You "might" be able to get away with just banging it in, but the seal has to be recessed inside the timing cover and this tool makes sure that it's installed to the right depth.
It's been a while since I did one, but I believe that it's as simple as removing the wheel, splash shield, remove crank damper, remove seal, install seal....etc. If you did need any room, you can simply unscrew the subframe bolts on the right side just enough to lower the whole thing a bit for clearance. No alignment required.
Ian
shiden_kai wrote:

Its a 2001. Its leaving a puddle on the driveway now from dripping. Can you give me info on this special tool?
I HATE my 3.4 impala, or should i say my wife's impala. I just dropped a load of money getting the intake gasket replaced at 65,000 miles, what a load of crap! I'll, stick to driviing my 93 ltz caprice, it never breaks down.

GM will usually cover some or all of the repair cost's for the gasket replacement. Depending on the year.

They won't on the 2001 3.4's. I just did my intake gasket manifold myself, but oh what a pain.
- Larry A.

I have a 2001 Montana with the 3400, which is currently in the shop with a suspected head gasket leak. If it is the head gasket, the repair bill is estimated to be around $1100 (Canadian). I must say, I was pissed when I found out it had let go on me, but the damned thing has well over 200,000KMs on it, so like yours, it's not covered. I actually called GM on Friday just to ask a few questions, and I was told that they cover them up to 5 years.