Front end fixed and now a new problem cropped up

On my 97' C1500 2WD 305cu.in. I finally got the front end finished up and it did end up being the ball joints. Now I have a coolant leak, my question is
this, are there freeze plugs on the back of the engine outside of the bell housing for the transmission or are they only inside the bell housing. This truck only has 66,000 miles on it, which would more likely be the case, a leaky head gasket or a rusty freeze plug. All of the other freeze plugs are tight clean and rust free. Is there something else I should be looking for? I have ruled out heater core and hoses. The leak is dripping around at the bell housing. If the truck parked on a slight grade downhill it drips from the front of the engine block as well. I gather it may be running down the edge of the oil pan.
I know I haven't given a whole lot of information here, but I haven't driven this truck exceptionally hard, nor have I overheated it at any time. I can provide more information, ask away.
Thanks in advance TM
I would look at the intake gasket closely. It is more likely to be either intake or head gaskets than the back soft plugs. To answer your question yes there is two soft plugs in the back of the engine behind the bell housing. I have had many small block chevy engines down and have never seen a bad soft plug in the back of the engine.

-