Front End Inspection

Threaded View

I have a 2000 Cavalier. 44 500kms. Recently I had the Rack replaced. Besides
that, I asked to have the front end checked while it was up there. The
reason being is that they had the bottom ball joints off any way and the
wheels had to aligned because the tie rod ends had to be loosened.

 That's all fine and dandy. My beef is with the billing dept. I recently
received a bill from the dealer saying that I owed them 37.50 plus tax 43.13
Can. 75 an hour, one half hour charge. The parts and lobour for the rack was
covered under extended warranty. Maybe they have a minimum charge of a half
an hour  From the mechanics that I have spoken to about this bill, I'm
hearing that I am being ripped off. Stating that the alignment shop had to
check the front end before doing the alignment anyway,and should be charged
as part of the warranty for the rack job. Some garages like Canadian Tire do
not even charge for this service. Apparently, labour wise it only averages
about 10 to 15 minutes to perform. The dealer was closed yesterday and I am
on my way there today. Just wanted some more input from the group

Thanks
Mike

Re: Front End Inspection

If the labor allowed by the warranty includes setting the toe in, thats it,
setting up the machine and getting the preliminary readings is part of doing
a toe in adjustment, technically to get the wheel straight, the rear wheels
have to have the toe set first if this has an adjustable rear toe settings.
You need to ask specifically what the .5 applied to.

-

Re: Front End Inspection

I overheard a service manager at Canadian Tire talking to a customer on the
phone explaining that because the alignment was so bad they have to adjust
it before they can even get the equipment on the car so they were going to
charge her extra. I believe the conversation ended with "okay, so we'll just
put the tires on and give you the car back."

He's lucky that wasn't me on the other end of the phone or I would have told
him where he could put his equipment, or maybe that's what she told him. If
I take my car in for a $49.95 aligment, do the alignment, don't tell me it's
"out too much" and you have to charge me extra, that's bullshit.

Steve

it,
doing
wheels
settings.
there.
the
charge
labour
News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Re: Front End Inspection

Steve, if some one moved the toeout of range  to such an extent that the
beams would not see each other,  there would be no initial readings on the
screen, so it could be possible that a vehicle would require  a manual
approximate adjustment to initilize the alignment equipment. This would be
unusual of course , as the vehicle would be almost un driveable. I can't say
what a shop would charge for the additional work.

-

Re: Front End Inspection

Personally, I don't think the charge is unreasonable.  You want to
them to "check the front end", there is a lot more to the front end
then just lower ball joints and tie rod ends.  Also, GM only pays
to reset the "front toe".  They will not pay for anything else, nor
will you get any adjustment done for the rear toe, or front camber,
caster...whatever.

Why don't you just pay the half hour charge?  Too many customers
think they should be able to just piggy back off the warranty repairs
being done.  In some cases this is justified, in others...no.

Ian

Re: Front End Inspection

OK,   Ian enlighten me.... What other things have to be checked other than
the ball joints and tie rod ends? Don't get me wrong Ian, I think you are a
great help here on this group and I appreciate your input. I am just letting
off a little steam and sharing my experiences her on the group that others
can relate to.I hope you see my point:

 I don't think I am "piggybacking" off any warranty. I just want to pay a
reasonable price for work done. Not an inflated  amount for a job other
garages do for free anyway. Like I said the alignment shop has to do this
anyway in order to get an proper alignment. If it needed any front end parts
I did not expect GM to pay for it. Looking at the whole picture a wheel
alignment and front end check had to be done and covered by GM anyway.  No
offence to anybody.

That's it, and thanks.

P.S. Thanks for the responses

Mike

Re: Front End Inspection

Well, besides those items, you have lower control arm bushings, and
struts, upper strut mounts.  The point really isn't whether it's simple
to inspect the front end "while" you are doing warranty work.  You
had a rack replaced under warranty.  When I replace a rack for a warranty
problem, and then do the toe reset (which is all GM pays for) there is no
"inspection" done of the front end.  You set the toe and kick her out.
Sorry,
that's just the way it is. The only thing that I can see that would be a
problem
with your scenario.....is that they should have just told you right up front
when you asked for a "front end inspection" that it was going to cost you
an extra half hour of labour.  Sending you a bill after the fact is stupid,
and
I would probably just ignore it, unless it's the only dealer in town and you
need to get more warranty work done.  If you had been informed up front,
then you can decline the extra charge.

See...this is where you don't understand how warranty works.  Which is
ok, you don't work in our industry.  I'd love to have people from these
newsgroups who don't work in our industry come and walk in my shoes
for a week or two.  It would be a very eye opening experience.  Again,
GM does not pay for or expect the technician to do a "front end check"
or a "full alignment".  The only items that have to be disconnected on
a Cavalier to get the rack out are the tie rod ends.  Ball joints don't have
to be disconnected.  So all you get under warranty is a "toe reset".  That's
it, that's all.  When a person understands how GM lowballs the warranty
time for the rack replacement, they will also understand why the technician
does only the least amount of work that is necessary.  Again, my apologies
to all the folks who think that we ought to work for free....but, in my case
it ain't gonna happen.

Ian

Re: Front End Inspection

 with your scenario.....is that they should have just told you right up
front

Good, now I know.I just would like my service person to tell me that, BEFORE
the work is done.I know this is after the fact but the tech did take the
bottom ball joints off. Why? I don't know. Said it was a hell of a
job...Anyway thanks for clearing that up Ian. Live in a small town and it is
the only GM dealer here. I'll just pay it and be done with it.

Thanks Again
Mike

Re: Front End Inspection

Mike, the next time that "any" shop tries to bill you for something
that they did not tell you that you would be charged for it, you tell
them to shove that bill up their "#ss".  We don't do this sort of thing
at our dealership.  It's all up front, or you don't pay....simple as that!

Ian

Re: Front End Inspection

Advice well taken!

Thanks