Front Rotor Removal on 2000 Pontiac

I need some help here. I was trying to change the brakes on my 2000 Grand Prix but couldn't get the rotor off to get it turned. I got the pads out but the rotor was still held in place by the outer frame of the brake caliper and the bolts holding that one were very tight so I didn't want to force anything. How exactly do I get the rotor off? Thanks...

DC

Reply to
Jdavecobb

"Jdavecobb" wrote

You do have to remove that "outer frame" in order to get the rotor off. No way around it. The two bolts are very tight (they are loctited from the factory), but they will come off. I use a 30 inch swing handle with a good quality socket and they will come off.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ian,

Thanks for the quick reply. I had a wrench on them and was using a baby sledge on it but they wouldn't budge. I was afraid I was going to break something. Thanks again...

Reply to
Jdavecobb

Yes I've broken a few cheap sockets on them... on my friends 99 Cavalier we had to rig 2 bars up and jump on them to get his to come loose.

Reply to
Gravity

150ft-lbs I believe
Reply to
Steve Mackie

Should they be re-loctited after they're replaced?

Reply to
NokNokMan

"NokNokMan" wrote

Yeah, they are supposed to have this re-applied before you re-install them.

LOCTITE® DRI-LOC 201(GM P/N 12345493)

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai